Author Topic: Tiller Profiles  (Read 8261 times)

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
Tiller Profiles
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:07:50 am »
I'm still pretty new at all this so if anyone could post pics of different tiller profiles along with their strengths and weaknesses I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Mike.
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

makete

Re: Tiller Profiles
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 09:30:01 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I would like to see and hear more also.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 01:04:51 am »
I'll 'third' that request. Maybe strung and unstrung profiles side by side?

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:02:34 am »
Here is a bow that was discussed on this site earlier this year. I was having trouble getting it right and everyone was a big help. It shows the problems and what was done to help get rid of them.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2472.0.html
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

DCM

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:05:57 am »
http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/abc0601.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/abc0602.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/abc0704.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/abc0705.JPG

The first two links show a bow with more circular tiller.  The second two a little more stiff on the outer limbs.  One bowyer buddy of mine doesn't see any difference in the two, but likes the way the first one shoots better.  I prefer the second but the difference is not pronounced.  Don't have an example of a whip tillered bow.

IMO circular tiller lets one use more wood, potentially saving a little set or perhaps make a little more draw weight for what wood is available.  Less circular preserves string angle, and helps keep mass in motion to a minimum.

Pics not for BOM consideration please.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:31:04 am »
I tiller most of mine like the 2nd.I use to wind up with a wipe tiller unintentional.They seem to stack more for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:19:04 am »
Mike, there's plenty of pictures on my site. You have the right idea. Nothing helps more than seeing the tillers of bows. I  have to admit that with  some of the character bows I've made the tiller just happens. That is I rarely have in mind to make a bow of say circular tiller or elliptical tiller (my preference). I like to think that the design and the stave dictate the tiller. The stave will tell you what it wants. With experience you hearing will improve. You'll become a better listener. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:47:09 am »
One thing I believe is that we use some tiller logic, the front view of the bow should be a tip off as to what the tiller will look like. A pyramide bow should bend in an arc of the circle more while a paralell limbed bow should bend mre elyptically. Thickness tells the wood how fa it can bend, width controls how far it will bend, thin wood can bend more than thick wood obviously. Steve

DCM

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 12:05:36 pm »
That sounds backwards Steve.  "Let the wide wood work" seems to be what you are saying.  Pyramid would be more stiff ended, in this paradigm, no?

DCM

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 01:19:39 pm »
Oh, never mind.  I re-read your post and I get what you are saying.  Duh.  Parrallel limb bow would work more elliptical if the "wide wood works."

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 01:40:46 pm »
Dave, I real life I do keep the pyramid or modified pyramids very stiff in the outside limbs. But they are actually getting thicker toward the tips. Steve

DCM

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 02:43:32 pm »
I was just thinking, hey if it's gonna be wide it might as well bend.  I don't really make or care for particularly truly pyramid bows, but do use aggressive width taper and stiff deep outer limbs, where appropriate.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 04:07:34 pm »
Something that you don't see often is a bow that starts off narrow near the fades then widens mid limb then quickly narrows again, This would make good sense for a fairly long bow, maybe like 72" if the tiller followed the logic from the back of the bow. Steve

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 06:09:13 am »
That's a lot of help fellows. I appreciate it. I'm a big time visual learner so if I can't see it or feel it I'm pretty well hosed. Anyone that has more pics or links please post. The more the merrier. Thanks a lot. Mike.
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

makete

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 08:41:50 am »
I too am like mikea. I can read how to do something a hundred times and it makes no or little sense but show it to me and I sometimes catch on pretty quick ;D. I will read some sentence and then have to sak someone who knows about it "what the heck" and then they show me and duh! ::) Good tread here want more.