Author Topic: Fletching Noise?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Fletching Noise?
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:00:46 pm »
  Happy New Year to everyone,
            I have a question on primitive fletching noise. I have always in the past used hide glue on my feather base along with sinew to hold it down. I have seen some arrows with only sinew holding the feather to the shaft, no glue added to the base. How much extra noise will this create? I hunt whitetail and noise is bad stuff. Wouldn't want arrows that sound similar to flu-flu's.
                 Thanks Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fletching Noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:42:44 pm »
If done right, no extra noise. That is how I do most of my arrows now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:28:22 am »
  Bigger your feathers the more noise you get. I buck hunt alot I shot all sizes anything over 5x 1/2 Starts getting to noisy for me and the bucks. Also feathers with a barb look good but whistle more.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:49:39 pm »
I've found that, with tied on only fletchings, there is no excessive noise so long as the fletchings are flush with the arrow shaft.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:46:20 pm »
Don,
    I glue and sinew mine like you do, natural turkey wing and secondaries. By copying the NA style from the eastern woodland 3 fletch I get perfectly quiet arrow flight. I split, grind the feather and cut it to 6", then glue it down. I then trim the forward and rearward ends to expose the quill for tieing on the sinew. Then I hand trim the fletch with sicsors to about 3/8" height from the shaft and parrallel to it.
     My experience with noisy flect is same as crooketarrow, the higher the fletch the more noise. So ya may need to find the compromise your looking for between long and low & shorter and higher. some place in there is your answer.
    Not science, just what I found by trial and error.
rich

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:09:11 am »
There is a slight increase in noise, with all else being equal.  The longer the fletching and the more spiral, the louder the noise.

In my experience, whitetail will react to string noise and the arrow contacting the bow before they hear fletching noise.  If they are standing still when the arrow leaves the bow, then the arrow will get to the deer before the deer can move to avoid the arrow.  Of course, as long as it's not a long shot.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
Thanks for responding guys. I appreciate the input. Sounds like I need to experiment. I'm a stickler for perfect arrow flight and a quiet bow shot. I learned along time ago that quiet is better than speed when hunting.
                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline The Fly

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:43:04 pm »
i agree with you 100% quit is the deal when its time to kill. Bzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34:57 am »
Remember, the closer you get the less time they have to react. 

Ask "Point Blank" Pappy!  He had a 6 yarder this year. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.