Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle arrows? Anyone?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Crepe Myrtle arrows? Anyone?
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:32:44 pm »
Anyone ever make arrows out of crepe Myrtle? I just harvested a bundle, but would like to get input. Do you seal th ends of shoots?

Thanks,
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Crepe Myrtle arrows? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »
Cipriano, I've never tried CM for arrows. Ken75 is the CM expert around here.
  When I cut hardwood shoots for arrows I leave then long, I don't seal the bend but bundle them and set them aside to season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »
aren't the shoots very knotted?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:09 am »
i've been wonder this as well. i have a bunch of cm in my front yard and the branches look like they would be great for the arrows.
doc

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:57:40 am »
  I had someone send me a dozzen once. I never even atemped it. They was'nt a straight lenth more that 2 inchs in any of them. Lots or kinks. DIC yea mine were very knoted. Lots of limbs would be a night mare to spine if you spined your arrows. There were arrows in them I just was going to let them out. I don't know but it was almost like he was playing a joke on me. The dog wood I sent him back he probley fell in love with.
  Yours would have to be better than the ones I got. Your have tons of time in them. I also cut mind long and cut to leanth after they season. But I see no reason you couldn't cut and seal the ends.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »
When I lived down south, the city would come and chop the tops off every winter.  They are perfect size for arrows.  I have collected a bunch, buy never did anything with them as I have a lot of cane I prefer to use.  Maybe I'll pull a few out.   ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA