Author Topic: Growth Rings  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Growth Rings
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:30 am »
I am with you Clint !
I have often wondered why others don't leave the (crunchy stuff) till the sanding process after the bow is tillered out ?
Just figured I was being differant again!
You know us worthless nuts !
Guy
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:44:54 pm by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »
  I uselly don't wood on a stave unless the rings are 16 th or bigger. I use a fine wood rasp. I don't anything special a round knots and just take it down to the ring I want.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Qwill

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 04:42:49 pm »
I use a drawknife and scraper. Osage and Mulberry make every other wood seem easy. Locust is hard, for some reason. Siberian elm is a pain. I haven't tried yew yet, but I'm going to here soon.

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the posts.  This will help tremendously.  On my next one I will try to work the draw knife!
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »
On my next one I will try to work the draw knife!

Get yourself a piece of scrap, and just practice with the knife, taking off a ring at a time. You might want to try sharpening or dulling the blade. Some like them dull, some very sharp. It will become a personal preference for you also (in time). But just practicing on some scrap will help you relax instead of learning on a stave.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 06:50:19 am »
Thanks to everyone for the posts.  This will help tremendously.  On my next one I will try to work the draw knife!
At the risk of stating the obvious, try the draw knife both ways up, pushing, pulling, whatever. There is no single 'right way' to use one, it's a very versatile tool which can split of great swathes of wood or shave off the tiniest curls. Being long you can hold one end still and use all that leverage for very fine control, a quarter inch at one end will move the blade near the fixed end less than a sixteenth.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »
I started chasing growthrings with a dull drawknife.  Probably saved a lot of growthrings from premature death!!!  Now that I have some tool technique I want my drawknife as sharp as my broadheads. 

Like Okie, on a well seasoned and uncomplicated stave, I can get 'er done in about 30 minutes.  But that's rare.  It's more likely a couple hours.  I always stay well away from pin knot clusters and dips in the grain.  I often use a 1/4 or 3/8 inch curved gouge type chisel and slowly pare away the wood around the knots and dips.  I have done one mulberry with something like 20 clusters of pin knots that took almost 15 hours of work to get to a growthring.  Used the little gouge for the whole thing, scraped with a small pocket knife.  That stave likely took 8 years off my life.  Can't say how many times I ran out of expletives and had to go buy more!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.