Author Topic: Should I cut or not  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Should I cut or not
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:42 pm »
Osage sapwood in northern climates may very well withstand checking but it is a sure thing in an Alabama summer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 03:21:31 pm »
I have had sapwood split within hours of removing bark up here, even on staves that where 6-8 months split.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 03:40:14 pm »
This past summer I got splits in my logs through the bark when it got really hot.  That was new to me.  The only staves I've peeled the bark and sealed the sapwood on split pretty quickly.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 03:53:31 pm »
Do all you guys season in a garage or outdoors? I season my staves in my house. Eric, I live in south western ohio, but we do get around 100 degrees in the summer, and we only have one room with air conditioning that is closed off from the rest of the house. Maybe your right Pearl Drums and I do have special osage, but I think that maybe seasoning them in my house has alot to do with it. I live in the ohio valley, which tends to trap in the humidity to a degree. I would bet all of these play a factor, but this has just been my experience. It sure seems like everyone else's is the opposite, so I guess I will count myself lucky like Pearl Drums said... 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 04:01:25 pm »
I store all mine indoors (62-65 degrees year round) bark on until I build the bow. I seal the ends with deck stain and get zero splits.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »
I haven't seasoned my staves in a climate controlled area like inside a house. I have used my basement, crawlspace, attic, car, garage, external shed, stacked outside in the sun and shade, drying box and shop. The sapwood checking was the same in all locations with the outside in the sun and attic being the worst choices.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »
You guys realize if you told toomanyknots NOT to jump off a cliff because he would get hurt,that he wood do it anyways and try not to get hurt just to prove a steroetypical dogmatic common simple law wrong  ;).....right daniel ;).... :laugh:

Offline EricWard

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »
what kind of spray are yall using for the bugs?

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 03:24:46 am »
Osage Outlaw are you saying our wives think we never have enough wood or that we always have more then we need? I am not saying I am just saying I am of the thought you can never have enough wood? >:D

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:20 am »
I guess the real question is that the tree, provided mother nature doesn't intervene, can stand and grow another 5-10-15 years grow from 10 to 20 inches in diameter. There is enough other Osage to get plenty to work, I just have never seen such a straight and clean piece before. If you all are lucky my wife will have me in that big freezer we have and collecting my pay checks before I get to it and it would be up for grabs. My opinion (which is ) leave it grow take a pic every 5 years to show the growth and harvest in 15 years. I would be 65 then and see what it is like and where all of this has gone since then. Doesn't seem like a long time but allot can happen in 15 years.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 02:12:34 pm »
As for bug spray, I used strong Diazinon and repeated every 6 months back when I left wood with the bark on, had no worm or borer damage.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 02:34:34 pm »
Osage Outlaw are you saying our wives think we never have enough wood or that we always have more then we need? I am not saying I am just saying I am of the thought you can never have enough wood? >:D

Quotes from the wife:

"Don't you have enough"
"Where are you going to put all those pieces"
"How many bows are you planning on building any way"
"I can barely open my car door in the garage because of your wood drying"

She's a good wife.  She doesn't understand the addiction, but she tollerates it  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left