Author Topic: Well, I believe I believe  (Read 5324 times)

Offline possum

Well, I believe I believe
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:16:19 am »
I never actually gave it much thought before.  But toasting a belly was just one of them techniques for master bowyers and nutty folks in my book. :-\  I mean, who wants to fry a bow? ???  But I had a small hickory bow I made my son a few years ago that had always been a poor performer.  It doesn't help that it was a scrapped piece of wood with a loopty-loo right off one fade and that made for a horrible tiller.  It wasn't bad for what it was but I had always wanted better. :-[  Maybe I can just never be satisfied.  Maybe.
Anyway, yesterday my hellions... err, children were just not exhibiting the kind of behavior that I could have trusted them to be by themselves whilst I whittle away some time in the BatCave so I just brought the little bow up and carefully strung it up backwards and proceeded to apply heat.  In the loopty-loo I noticed moisture of some sort coming to the surface.  I deduced it had to be the Crisco I used to try and tame that evil.  I wiped it off and kept the heat on it for a while and kept that up til I figured I got it all.  That section never really turned brown... orange maybe but not brown.  Then I went on to the rest of the limbs.  After unstringing this thing had about 5 inches of reflex! :o  It had about 1" before I started.  I figured it will pull out some after shooting.  I left it to cool overnight.
I strung it up and took an arrow weighing about 363 grains, more than 10 grains per pound but you can only get so light after a point you know. :-\  Well, she shot considerably faster and kept impacting about 6" higher than where I was looking and used to her flinging that arrow. :o  So... I believe, I believe, OK?  Twisting my arm never felt so satisfying before. :)  Except maybe when Mrs. Possum had to convince me to finish the ice cream in the fridge. ;D

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Well, I believe I believe
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:37:10 am »
I have had the same experience,I almost always do mine now,It will help it hold backset and generally add some weight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:49:21 am »
Haven't tried it yet, waiting for TBB4 with Marc's chapter.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:12:01 pm »
Good story. How was that ice cream?
Didn't know Marc was doing a TBBIV chapter. He's pretty much the guru on heat treating limbs. Will definitely buy the book.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25:06 pm »
I hope he's doing a chapter?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline possum

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:28:50 pm »
Well, the ice cream was great... Breyer's Strawberry Cheesecake.  I just went and got some more.  4/$10.00, last day. ;D :o

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 01:14:39 pm »
Good thing you got some more ice cream... toasting the belly can give off some odors that will make your stomach growl like nobody's business ;D

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 01:48:43 pm »
When I saw that ice cream "sale" listing, I just knew you had to be somewhere close - so I checked your bio - :D now i see it at the bottom also - just got used to doing that.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline possum

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 06:19:14 pm »
yeah, land of Food Lion.  You near Outer Banks?  I have a brother out there.  S'posed to be goin pig huntin out there sometime.

possum

mebane NC

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 11:15:22 am »
LOL -Yep, that's the store(s). I'm between Morehead city and Swansboro - on the mainland inside Bogue Banks. I hear there are pigs up around Pocosin Lake Refuge area and down near the state line. We are just beginning to get them into NC (from SC). I was up there last year (for deer)- didn't see any pigs but one or two guys did.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC