Author Topic: yew ?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Jesse

yew ?
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:15:57 pm »
I had to cut down some yew today at a job I was on. I mostly see yew in shrub form but this stuff was growing upright like a tree and it is definatley yew so I kept some pieces. My  first thought was to make a bow but it is full of branches growing off the main stalks and there is no clear piece to use from what I can see. My question is could I make a bow out of one of the narrow branches comming of the main trunk? they are thin maybee 1 1/3" diameter with the bark. Any other suggestions I hate to waste wood but I dont like wasting my time either. A kids bow perhaps.
                                                    Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: yew ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:55:23 am »
You might be able to saw out some planks for a hickory backed or bamboo backed bow. Yes the small diameter might make a light weight selfbow it you have a long enough piece.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:08:51 pm »
If you use a branch , conifers in compression ,get stronger on the lower side (compression side) and weaker on the upper side (tension side) .So you might be successful making a nice bow from the bottom side of one of the branches. It would be a backwards bow ,with the the middle of the branch being the back of the bow .And the sapwood or outside of the branch being the belly of the bow.The bow should gain quite a bit of reflex. I would probably back it with sinew.
     I've been wanting to try a bow like this for awhile now.   ;)

Ralph 

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:03:27 pm »
Thanks. yah I have pieces long enough So I will give it a go. once it dries out. 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark