Author Topic: trade bow preference  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Josh B

trade bow preference
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:19 pm »
I have a question for bow trade participants.  Any particular style of bow that you don't care for?  The reason I ask is , I was just checking out Twistedlimb's sweet sinew wrapped osage and caught the part about not caring for gull wing bows.  I was planning on building a hybrid type bow that I call a 5 curve flatbow , which is of course a sort of gull wing.  I would be pretty bummed to find out that I made a bow for someone in a style they don't care for.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

Re: trade bow preference
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:05 pm »
I wouldn't care what style it is.  I feel honored to be receiving a bow made by some one else.  I always enjoy looking over the trade bows I receive.  I try to see what I do the same and different as the person that built it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »
I would not look at it that way.
For example, I was not a real fan of bending in the handle bows, until I received a sweet bow from Ken last year. Now, I not only like them, I am trying to build some.
I feel the trade idea is to make the bow you want to make. Who knows, you might get someone else thinking outside of their box. If you see a gull winged bow in the wood you are working, build it. I have all the confidence that the person getting it will be very happy.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »
I like them all but, if you drew my name I'd really prefer a horn backed bow. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:53 pm »
I like them all but, if you drew my name I'd really prefer a horn backed bow. ;)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: horn backed! Now that would definitely be unique! ;)  ::)  Josh

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:23 pm »
I'm going the opposite direction with my trade bow.
By that I mean my guy has a certain style and I'm gonna make him a style he doesnt make for himself. Which also happens to be of a certain variety I prefer.

Put a lot of care into what ever ya make, and they will be happy.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:01:35 pm »
I would be proud to have whatever bow is sent to me by a fellow Primitive Archer.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:16:42 pm »
I think that any bow sent would be awesome! I also think that if someone is disappointed in a bow they get just due to style, then they are in the bow trade for the wrong reasons. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:17:18 pm »
Most of us settle into  building the style we like !
So how are we going to get something different if its not given to us!
That is part of the fun ,the rest of the fun is in doing for others !!!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:27:17 pm »
josh u n me are in the same boat >:D i wanted to make a war bow up to 90# but my guys not into it  or osage for that matter so im gonna go with a long bow insted  hope he likes it but im not gonna worry about it i guess main thing is to make somthin i can be proud of and id keep for my self and hope he likes it all we can do bro hang in there itll be fine bulid what ya bulid  brock :laugh:

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:57 pm »
Josh I would not sworry about it, Most of us in the bow trade are more about having something made by a fellow bowyer and besides we all should have aleast one of every kind right?  I think 5 curve bows are very cool bows

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:52 pm »
If u don't make what u want and be proud while doing it than you failed yourself :-[ if they don't like a 5 curve osage gifted them by a bowyer that can pull that off shame on them ...than they can ship it to me
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:19 am »
Its a bow swap not an order for a new bow Josh. Build what makes YOU happy and make sure it fits your recip. needs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:26 am »
What they all said.....
Josh I keep forgetting that I am even getting a bow from someone on these hallowed pages. Too busy
thinking about the one I am building.

Lane

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 01:07:03 am »
Josh. I know how you feel

Josh I know how you feel 1 building a bow for onew of these  master bowyers make me feel a
little humbled! Put all you've got into it and anyone worth there salt will be happy to recieve such
a gift! ;)

Ad Dare Servire
PM104250