Author Topic: Finally, Corner Notches  (Read 3155 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Finally, Corner Notches
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:45:13 am »
I broke 3 (one twice) before I got this point.  I didn't try to make the notches so thin and it seemed to work better.  I had trouble with  ridges on one side of the spall so I couldn't get flakes all the way out on that side.  But, I think it is really a corner notch point.  I stalled one notch but overall happy.  When I first weighed it I was surprised to see it was 175 gr so I took a pass with the pressure flaker on each side and got it down to 160gr. Should hunt good. :)  EDIT: the first picture was out of focus so I took a new one.  Interesting how different the color looks in the stronger lighting.

George
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:11:28 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

Re: Finally, Corner Notches
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:33 am »
Lookin good George!!!  Im still struggling with notching.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:04:01 am »
Darn right that'll hunt, sweet point George!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:16:26 am »
Nice notches and point. Should cut the mustard next season!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:46 am »
Great point George!! You did an excellant job! Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
G it has been about 3 weeks and now and you are notching great.  That point is great.  Way to go you earned it.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:46:55 am »
Me like :). That resembles some Gtown there George. Whenever you get over to the house i'll load ya up with a bucket of that stuff..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:13 am »
Thanks guys.  This is the first time I felt like I was preparing platforms on the notches and I'm not sure why.  Maybe because I opened them up wider? Hopefully they continue to go well. 

I made myself an Ishi stick last night and played around a bit with it.  Definitely don't have the technique figured out yet.  I got a couple decent length flakes to run.  Now my problem is that I'm so much more comfortable with indirect percussion and it goes so fast that it feels like I'm making no progress when I pressure flake.  I think what I'll do with my next point is commit to doing everything with pure percussion and pressure.  I think I'll use obsidian too.  Gus left me some nice black debitage when he was at the shop and some are large enough to practice on. :)

Thanks Paul, it is good stuff.  I got it from Patrick.  Sunday afternoon might work but it looks like it'll be cool still?

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:35 am »
Very nice, George! I'm impressed, but we all knew you could do it  :D ;)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:57:46 am »
Wicked good looking point sir. Well done 8)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 12:08:05 am »
That's a great point. Love that color.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 03:09:08 am »
Yes Sir George, that Is a Good looking point.
Your progress if obvious from here... :)

I like the indirect percussion that you showed me because it cancels out my inaccuracy issues of the moment.
It also helps me see the platform better and add some direction to my attack that I haven't been able to do by hand yet.
Hopefully if I keep breaking rock, some of the other forms will come.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »
Man George you sure are getting the hang of it! Those notches are looking good! I know what you mean about not feeling like youre making progress with pressure. I made a few Ishi sticks at first, even one from Osage that I used to love until Jesse showed me how to use the "flexible" ones that you can buy. All of the sudden I was running pressure flakes all the way across a preform! I have to be careful so not to get overshoots! Its all about the buildup before the release  ;)  with any pressure method but the flex sticks sure stay with the flake and make it easier IMO
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 12:44:44 pm »
Oooooo  cool. Where do you find these flexible tools? And thanks to everyone.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 12:54:44 pm »
Mine is a 3/4 in derlin Ishi. I've tried a 1 in but it didn't have the flex my 3/4 does. It really helps to blow through some stacks & other problems.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!