Author Topic: What does a knox gelatin sinew backing look like?  (Read 5942 times)

Offline toomanyknots

What does a knox gelatin sinew backing look like?
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:42 am »
I didn't put a coating of glue over a sinew backing I did recently, but now I wish I had, as it seems I used a bit too little glue maybe. I just don't like the look of it. I was wondering about making some knox glue to use as a top coat of glue on my bow, as I don't really wanna use anything else that isn't gonna let the bow breath, but I'd like to put a coat of something on top. And I don't have anymore sinew glue left. I was really minimal with the glue this time. Does it dry amber like unprocessed hide glue?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: What does a knox gelatin sinew backing look like?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:15 am »
You won't be able to tell the difference.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:51 pm »
Post pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:51:24 pm »
Post pics.

Of the backing after the knox, or of how the backing looks now? I don't know if I didn't rehydrate the sinew enough or what, but it is all white. The glue I used was less thick, but it wasn't watery or nothing. I think I just tried to get as much off as I could, last time I had some cracking from using too much glue so I tried to remedy that... The backing looks very white today. It is all very white and overly dry looking. I was also thinking that maybe I didn't rehydrate the sinew enough. I took prepared bundles or dry sinew and ran them under hot water to get em rehydrated, but towards the last of it I didn't run en under as long as the other sinew. The top is whiter than the bottom, but "dry white" not un-dry white if you know what I mean.  :laugh: It's been 4 days since I did the backing I think. the bottom layer looks like a normal amber colored sinew backing, which you can see because the top layer is only a section in the middle of the limb, so you can see the bottom layer on the sides. If I had more sinew I would probably do another layer, and this time instead of too much or too little, ill use the amount that is just right. lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:00:36 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »
post  some pics,, when im sinewing the glue is almost clear as water,, the less amount of glue the more the sinew will work and do its job,, too much glue , and the glue is doing more of the work.  and a loss of performance will be there.     pics ,,pics..

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:41 pm »
I can't do much with the camera I have now, but there are some pics at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29954.90.html

It has since gotten alot whiter. The pics are like a day after the backing (I think). I have not had the best lucky lately with anything.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:15:46 pm »
in those pics ,it looks to me that the white streaks ,could be seperation of the strands from side to side,or may be in no contact with the back of the bow,, you still may have time to press them down,with a burnisher of some kind ,,a round smooth stick will work fine

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 02:36:18 pm »
It's not fibery or anything, it's a hard sinew backing, but the only thing is it's white. It's the craziest thing. I have had a bow's sinew go white--ish on me before, but that was after like a year of shooting and abusing. Hotboxing in my van in the summer sun and whatnot. This is just crazy. It's definitely dry. Usually a sinew backing for me even with one layer will take around 3 - 4 days to a week to stop having squishy parts or parts that you can tell from the tone of color are not dry yet like the sinew around the edges. This time it was dry and hard as a rock by the second morning, and I used two layers. Things I did differently this time that I don't usually do:

- I didn't let the sinew soak in pan of water before sinewing, instead I ran them under hot water for a minute in the sink before gluing.
- I was a bit more thorough with squeezing out excess glue of the bundles before laying them down. 
- I didn't add a layer of glue over the completed backing this time.

Things that could also be a problem:

- I never degrease the sinew before hand, I just wash with hot water as good as I can 3 or 4 times.
- This sinew I broke out from some cattle leg tendons that were being sold as dog chews.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (To note, I have I used them twice now with not problems).

What the heck went wrong?

Edit: Robustous, the sinew is not sticking out or anything. It was one complete backing, and I also added a thin layer of some sinew glue I cooked up to try to remedy it yesterday, rubbed it in with some warm water to try to melt the glue on top a bit, but it was still white when it dryed. It has been (maybe only 3 days) and it is completely dry with no squish. It dried alot faster than usual.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:41:41 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:50:39 pm »
I think the sinew looks just fine.  I often have sinew strands show up "whiter" than the rest.  And oddly, often those on the top like in your pic.  I don't ever apply a coat of glue on the top of my sinew jobs.  It is only added, unnecessary weight, in my opinion.  The layer of glue cracks everytime you draw it, if you do.  Also, I sand my sinew often between layers and when completed to even out any rough spots.  When I sand it, it creates a uniform look, as well.  As far as covering your sinew, I do it with a snake skin to keep the rain off of it (I've never had a sinew or hide glue failure).  As for breathing, the bow will breath through the belly.  If you want to paint designs on the bow, cover it with thin rawhide.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:24:03 pm »
I think the sinew looks just fine.  I often have sinew strands show up "whiter" than the rest.  And oddly, often those on the top like in your pic.  I don't ever apply a coat of glue on the top of my sinew jobs.  It is only added, unnecessary weight, in my opinion.  The layer of glue cracks everytime you draw it, if you do.  Also, I sand my sinew often between layers and when completed to even out any rough spots.  When I sand it, it creates a uniform look, as well.  As far as covering your sinew, I do it with a snake skin to keep the rain off of it (I've never had a sinew or hide glue failure).  As for breathing, the bow will breath through the belly.  If you want to paint designs on the bow, cover it with thin rawhide.

Well that makes me feel better. Thank ya Mwiriwicki.