Author Topic: Some questions for Yew  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Some questions for Yew
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 03:47:09 am »
I am a bit confused, 2 posts saying unbacked yew bows are great...then tward then end you both refer to some sort of backing??? One of you mentions wood backing the other cable...can you Please be more specific on poundage, and whether they are backed or not? Thanks.

I am sure it would be possible to have a all heartwood bow....but if it was so popular why am I not seeing any...anywhere??? I have been building bows for 20 yrs, and have yet to see a bow on this board to my memory that is unbacked yew heart wood. Seriously I would like to see it.

heres one i am currently whittling away at

i was saying that unbacked heart wood is great but sinew backed is always better lol. i have a few pics of some heartwood bows i could post later or something.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Lil Bow Pete

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 06:00:03 am »
Thanks for the help guys. I have lots of wood to experiment with but it is all milled. I will not try to chase a ring on this stuff cause I don't think it can be done. I love this wood because it is so strong in compession. I just need to know what kind of backing can handle the stregth of the yew. I have backed it with fiber glass cloth and epoxy reson and it cracked. Did not break the bow but cracked glass will not make the grade. Thanks for your advice. I'll keep trying.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:40 am »
How long is that bow?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Lil Bow Pete

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 03:06:38 pm »
64" ntn with static recurve tips. Never used a belly wood that was strong enough to crack fiber glass cloth and epoxy. i have some laminated bamboo boards that I am going to try as backing. Will see if that works better