Author Topic: Second Hunting Size Point!  (Read 1038 times)

Offline DraggingCanoe

Second Hunting Size Point!
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:53:46 am »
I made this one today out of what I'm guessing is Keokuk. The nodules have a thick chalky cortex with crumbly veins of red iron oxide and microfossil inclusions and it's from here in NE Oklahoma. I have this rock from two sources, a local river around Muskogee and the shores of Grand Lake. This point came from the Grand Lake rock. Again, I apologise for the bad webcam photos. Critiques, comments and opinions are mose welcome.

Offline Tower

Re: Second Hunting Size Point!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:00:17 am »
Youe symmetry is very good. Its a good hunting point. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little width to thin a point further.  Just a little advice to a new knapper. Great work on your. 2nd point.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline DraggingCanoe

Re: Second Hunting Size Point!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:16 am »
Thank you for the symmetry compliment. It is a little thicker than I'd like, but not as godawful thick as those photos make it look. If I didn't have such large size requirements I'd have thinned it some more, but I DO need to work on my early stage reduction. This was also made from a relitively small and thick flake.