Author Topic: E-notch attempt  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Will H

E-notch attempt
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:03 pm »
Ive decided Im gonna figure out hot to make those awesome e-notch thebes style points. I really like the look of em  :)  But man tryin to turn that notch up without blowin an ear off is tough. this is my second try... I nocked one ear off but desided to stay with it and see if I could get the other side. IT WORKED!! Thought id share my progress with yall. The good AND the bad  ::)  Im just gonna keep tryin till I get it down ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Tower

Re: E-notch attempt
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »
 You did pretty well with that one That looks like a hard point to make. Love the color keep it up.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »
Yikes, that gives me shivers.  Looks awesome though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »
Did you pressure in or punch it in,or a combination of both?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:22 pm »
 That is a pucker factor 10 with that narrow stem in the middle, nice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:07:09 am »
Wow, scary in the middle, nice notchs, I need to try the eeee's sometime.

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:40 pm »
Will, I don`t know if you might`ve ever heard of Roy Miller from Flint Ridge, but he`s got a good video on his youtube channel showing his way of notching the  dogleg type Thebes...It`ll work for the "E' type as well... you could give it a look, I`m using his method with good results... it`s a lot easier than trying to go straight in with a nail notcher.   Just my $ .02 worth & worth every penny    :o      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWBdcsf0Pg&feature=plcp&context=C37757e8UDOEgsToPDskLSjPIalr5zPuorl8j806UP
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:42:50 pm by Lobo69ss »
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and support you guys!
Tower- thanks, I used a 7018 welding rod punch beat flat with a notch for the main notch then a regular horseshoe nail to turn up and do the last bit ;)

Lobo69ss- thanks for sharing that video. I hadn't been able to find one yet of the e-notch. This should definitely help out!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:13:44 am »
Will I have to say I am very very impressed with this point.   I like the style and I know that it was not easy to make those notches.  Way to go man.  Makes me want to try one but I am working on other ideas at this point.  I hope you are going to give it another try.  Did you see the e notch point on that texas knapin post?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:29:18 pm »
Excellent attempt!  Im sure u will get it next time!  Just some info on the Thebes some E notch were crisp and clean and some were more roundedout or dull notches and of course dog leg... a very cool point and difficult to make!!  Great work and thanx for sharing!!!

Ru$$
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »
Ok - E-notch practice.... hmmmm.... I h=guess that is what I do when I make hearts in a large heart shaped piece. I posted this pic earlier but will add it here as well.