Author Topic: Tri-Lam hick-boo-Ipe question.  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Tri-Lam hick-boo-Ipe question.
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:01 am »
Hey folks.
I don't post as often as I used to , but life is busy...for all of us!

Anyways, I recently glued upa tri-lam with a mild R/D profile. Quartersawn Hickory backing - Bamboo core(very thin) and Ipe bellywood.  I'm beginning to wonder if the Hickory is abit thick at 5/32"...the boo core is less than 1/8th. and the Ipe is a 3/8-7/16""(I think) slat from knightD.

I am not looking for that much weight...+/- 45 lbs at 28". the bow will be 66" full length.
Question I have after looking at it is...Will I have much belly wood left after tillering? or should I try to shave the hickory down some??

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: Tri-Lam hick-boo-Ipe question.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:49:17 am »
I'm not certain, but I think the Ipe should be able to handle it.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:01 pm »
I know it dosn't take much epe for 45#, i've got a boo backed epe, 64" and 70# @29"and at the fades it's right at 1/2" thick, you could shave the back a bit and then if the epe starts getting too thin tiller the sides a bit, how wide are you starting out, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »
I know it dosn't take much epe for 45#, i've got a boo backed epe, 64" and 70# @29"and at the fades it's right at 1/2" thick, you could shave the back a bit and then if the epe starts getting too thin tiller the sides a bit, how wide are you starting out, Bub

1.25 there-abouts. So not alot to shave there. the belly may get quite thin on this one.....

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:28:55 pm »
mine is 1 1/8" to about 9" from the tips then tapers to the nock's, gives ya a little whittle room, not much but a little, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:33:13 pm »
If you went with a pyramid profile, you could keep it about 7/16" thick throughout and if the boo core is 3/32", you would have 6/32" (3/16") of Ipe left behind.  You should be able to get a 45# bow with that, and have it be pretty skinny besides.

EDIT:  Apparently I can't do math at the end of my shift; I wrote 6/32 rounds to 3/7)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:35:28 pm by Jude »
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »
it sounds to me like that combination will make a 60lb plus bow and the ipe is too thick....based on the bows i've made ...you dont need much ipe to make a bow
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:27:13 am »
A trilam with ipé on the belly can get really thin. A 1/8" core and 5/32" backing might be a bit thick, but depends on the width of the bow. A narrow longbow of, say, 1" wide at the handle will still contain enough ipé in the end. But a wider flatbow...might end up with very little ipé near the tips. The best advice I can give you, is to always taper the backing AND core a bit when making a trilam with ipé belly. Use a belt sander to thin the last 20" of each lam (each end) about 1/16" or so. That'll give just a little more ipé near the tips, and looks better as well.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:46 am »
A trilam with ipé on the belly can get really thin. A 1/8" core and 5/32" backing might be a bit thick, but depends on the width of the bow. A narrow longbow of, say, 1" wide at the handle will still contain enough ipé in the end. But a wider flatbow...might end up with very little ipé near the tips. The best advice I can give you, is to always taper the backing AND core a bit when making a trilam with ipé belly. Use a belt sander to thin the last 20" of each lam (each end) about 1/16" or so. That'll give just a little more ipé near the tips, and looks better as well.
Right! I wish I had thought of that little trick when I started!!! ::)

I am going to try and get a taper on the backing before I start to tiller.
Thanks.
Right!