Author Topic: Maple arrows?  (Read 3666 times)

Offline rmcpb

Maple arrows?
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:34 am »
I've been having a great time looking through the threads on shoot arrows but never see any made form maples.

I have a large maple and a ash in the backyard. They have had the top cut out to stop them going too high and produce LOTS of shoots each year about arrow thickness and length.

Is it worth a go at these?

Suppose they don't really cost me anything but if its been tried before and they are too brittle then its the bamboo from Bunners for me :)

Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Maple arrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:18:22 am »
I do not know about maple, don't see why not. Ash makes very good shafts. both will be heavier than cane or ceder. but that is not a bad thing.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline BradB

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:29:16 am »
yes to maple shoots.   :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:41 am »
  I made maple shoot arrows twice and they make a good arrow. There just a little brittle and you have to restraighten them from time to time. Or I might feel this way maybe because I use to useing DOG WOOD then there no comparison.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:07:00 pm »
The maple shoot arrows I made worked well but were thicker in diameter than other shoots I've used.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:31:26 pm »
They will work.  Don't let them get too dry before straightening them or they will get brittle.  6, 8 weeks should be plenty of time.  Cut them and hand strighten, tie em all together and every couple of days or once a week, untie and hand strighten, then tie them back up and so on.

Good luck and let's see some pics, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline rmcpb

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:06:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. They look good so far but are a bit on the thick side as they widen quite quickly. A bit of a visit to a scraper should fix that though. The trees are starting to drop their leaves and when that is over I will lop them again and collect the shoots.
Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........