Author Topic: standing dead  (Read 2068 times)

Offline GaryR

standing dead
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:07 am »
I have a hickory that didn't survive our drought. It was probably alive until last September. Is it bow worthy?
Gary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: standing dead
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:04:21 pm »
Gary, I would not use standing dead anything for bow wood except maybe osage or yew. Hickory, like most whitewoods is quick to be infected by fungi after it dies and a standing dead tree continues to exchange moisture through the roots. Fungi loves moist wood. It will make good firewood or smoking wood though!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:09:57 pm »
Nope, hickory degrades very quickly, something to do with the high sugar content in the wood.

I tried to use some staves from a hickory that the wind blew over 6 months before I split it up. The staves were chalky and brittle.

About 6 or 7 beautiful hickories uprooted on the land I hunt last spring when the tornadoes came through. I cut two 7 ft logs out of one that was still alive with plenty of green growth, passed on several nice ones that had died because they had been down for several months, I thought of  my previous bad experience with downed hickory.

There was one monster downed hickory that still had green leaves up until the fall. I had all I could handle with the two large logs I brought home and left it alone. If it buds out this spring  I will stave it out, might nice stuff.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »
Send it to me and I will be glad to waste my time trying to build bows out it!!!!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:12:19 pm »
Well, I say hold on a minute.  It hasn't touched the ground, standing dead?  I'd say, if there's a chunk that you can cut into, not the prime stave section, but some other part of the main trunk, dig in and see what it looks like.  If theres discoloration, fungus or insects, than sure don't waste your time, but....

I've heard/read about NA folks using standing dead wood.  Granted it was mostly softwood, stuff that's naturally repels to decay.  On the other hand I seen standing dead oak that was plenty sound stuff.  At least its worth investigating for the sake of science, (and our curious minds)!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:51:40 pm »
I cut a peice of maple today that i could feel had a lower moisture level but wasn't entirely dead i think. It was standing and i cut it and could feel by the weight of it there wasn't a lot of moisture in it. The inner bark still seemed quite wet though and there was only a few blemishes in the sapwood....we'll see.  :laugh:
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:16 am »
You are out nothing trying it, but prepare to chace rings  :)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:50:13 am »
I ended up wasting half of a good hickory last year because I didn't make it back out to the woods in time.  I went out and chopped it down and took the first section out by hand on my lunch break, then never found the time to get back out there for a several weeks.  Got four staves out of the first section, and probably could have found 4-6 more on the rest, as it was about 20' tall :(  Left one stave of it leaning up in the garage, and my son tells me that some sort of borer got into it and ate up the wood below the bark.  I'll have to check it out when I get home, an maybe saw it into backings.  I've chased rings on dry hickory before and I'd rather split out a new stave than ever do it again.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit