Author Topic: Last Year's Bows  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Last Year's Bows
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:41 pm »
Hi Everyone.  I'm back on R&R leave from Afghanistan, and thought I would post the bows my son and I made last year.  All three are from the same section of a bitternut hickory I cut last spring. Bottom to top in the group pictures are my 15 yo son Lucas' bow, 68" n-n and 44# @ 28", 5" brace; next is my 12 yo son Tristan's bow, 68" n-n and 34# @ 28", 5.75" brace; and my own bow, 66" n-n and 45# @ 28", 5" brace.  Lucas' bow is a pretty standard hunting flatbow of his own design, which he roughed out with a hatchet and did all the rasping and initial tillering himself.  I took over for the finish tillering and heat treating; when we clamped the twist out green to dry it, the handle section sprung 4" off the board and now it has about 3" natural reflex when rested.  Tristan's is my first attempt at Sudbury style limbs, and was a real bear to tiller; on top of that, I cut too deep in one spot with the hatchet and ended up with a 34# bow.  Mine is an experiment, with a short handle section and limbs pyramid out to 2/3 then 1/2" wide to the tips.  Both Tristans and mine had little natural reflex and were clamped into an r/d profile to dry.  Tristan's has 1" reflex and mine has 0 when rested.  After they have been strung for awhile and shot, Lucas' retains 2" reflex, Tristan's is at 0, and mine has 1/2" of follow.  Oddly enough, they all had lots more reflex after heat treating, but pulled back to their original profiles after shooting in.  I cut all of them for stringers, and I'm considering tapering the tips of Lucas' and mine on the back to front direction to lighten them up a bit.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:15:58 pm by Jude »
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Jude

Re: Last Year's Bows
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:08:59 pm »
Here's the full draw pics, with my itty bitty 15 yo Lucas modeling.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:24:22 pm »
All three look nice to my eyes, good job!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »
Welcome back!!
bows are looking good.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:27:23 pm »
Nice looking bows there and thanks for serving in the sandpit! :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:25:59 pm »
Cool,  looking good :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »
Fine looking bows and all of them look fast as.

Offline Jude

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »
They all shoot pretty nice.  My little one is the hardest hitting of the three, not too surprising.  I'm sure the other two will have a much longer service life though.  I don't have a chronograph yet to see just how fast they shoot.  We got mine and Lucas' done just prior to the start of bow season last year, then I deployed two weeks later.  According to Lucas, who's been shooting them this winter, the Sudbury is the most accurate of the three, but it's not heavy enough to hunt with in New York.  Thanks for the nice comments.

Julian

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »
Nice trio! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:41 pm »
Those are great looking bows Jude. Congratulations !  Thank you for sharing and for your service. Look forward to seeing more on your work.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
Nice bows! BTW I used to be station at Drum I deployed with 1st bridgade to Iraq in '07.  I'm out now though. Welcome back brother!
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Jude

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 09:53:27 pm »
They stay pretty busy; I was in 1st BDE back in 01 when we went to Kosovo and 1-87 went to Afghanistan, then I bumped into them in Afghanistan in 03, then again in Iraq in 05.  By 07 I was hiding out at Ft. Irwin for a couple years before I got myself back to Drum.

Offline Jude

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:30 am »
Well, I'm back in the sandbox again.  Yipeeeee!!!  Just before I left, I rummaged around the garage and found an old fiberglass kids arrow barely long enough for my draw length, and the lightest thing I had kicking around.  It shot really flat off of my pyramid bow.  I intended to buy a chronograph when I was home, but never got around to it.  I really need to get around to it soon.  It will be about 7 months before I need to worry about it again.  Just hoping I get home in time to cut some wood while the bark is still easy to peel.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 08:05:22 am »
Very nice Jude,some sweet work. :) Also manyThanks for you service :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 08:13:43 am »
Great bows, really and clean simple yet each so different.
Really shows the joy of primitive bows.
Gorgeous work.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.