Author Topic: Wood lacrosse sticks ???  (Read 6937 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

Wood lacrosse sticks ???
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:46:03 pm »
     Hey  guys,  just  wondering  if  there  were  any  wood  lacrosse stick  makers  around???  I  have  a  son  that  needs  to  start  on  his  skills,,  and  my  belief  is  all  wood  to  start!!!.   I  was  a  lax  player  for  allmost  30  years, my stuff  is  shot    let  me know  thanks  JeffW

Offline bubby

Re: Wood lacrosse sticks ???
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:02 am »
jeff they are pretty easy to make, my son made a bunch of them a feww years back and gave them to the kids on the team he coached, just get the ruff deminsions, cut the angles on a table saw and sand it down, easy peasy, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:54:00 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXxv9V5tvYA

this is by Tom Mills the founder of Paleo Planet and tbb author.
he had a video on paleo planet that showed a gentleman making them with green hickory and the wood after steaming bent like rubber.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:00:03 pm »
@ Jeff - Youtube has some lacrosse stick vids too.
Try to find Crooked Arrows - it is a movie about Lacrosse. There are trailers on Youtube.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »
Keep it  coming  guys  I'm  taking it  all in!!!  I've  seem some of  this  stuff  wow!  I  may  have to  bend some  hickory?,,,,,,,I  found some of  my old  stuff,,and  it's  beat  geezee,,if  I could  make  a  bow I should  be  able to  make  a  stick???   around  here  lacrosse  is  more a  religion  than sport,,my  home town has a  college  called  Hobart& Williams  Smith,,,,,,they  had  a  lax  team  since 1898!!!!!  and  before,, we  played  nearly  year round  and I  have  the  scars to  prove it!!!  we  would  even throw snow  balls  with our sticks.  I  can't  wait  to  see  the  movie!!!  thanks  JeffW

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »
What style stick?  Iroquois...Great Lakes... Southeastern?
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:55 pm »
Round head Iroquois Jeff W

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:29:09 am »
Round head Iroquois Jeff W

Okay...I have made a few dozen of the western great lakes style with the round hoop, but not the Iroquois style.

I love traditional lacrosse! Bare feet and wood sticks...

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 01:37:17 pm »
I. Get. Carried. Away with this game,  man I watched. The crooked arrow clips I think I will. Buy the dvd.  Did you play Isaac?  My 6yr old is taking a shine to this game!  I Think Ill start making forms And give this a try there is box lacrosse league starting soon,,,,,,I'm so out of shape,,,what the heck might as well try??? JeffW

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »
jeff,
     these may help, a Menominee bagataway stick, a Hochunk bagataway, and an Iriqious Lacross bat.
rich

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 12:10:47 am »
YUP Rich the  one on the  bottom is dang close   looks like  I  better get a start geeze  just Tonight  I was  playing catch  with my boy,,,,,,,I put the  plastic stick down  and picked up my thirty plus year old  all  wood stick and I  swear I felt the universe realign it self,,,,,and the  nativeblood from my  Dad  started to  get  all  fizzy  dang I hope  my  boy  takes a liking  to thisgame   ,,,,,,,and I  promise  I  wont  be  pushy  Jeff W btw I think   bagataway  means "they bump hips"

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:17:48 am »
Did you play Isaac?

Not modern laX.  A bunch of us started it going at historical reenactments.  Shirts v. Skins... Bare feet and wooden sticks.  No pads, no rules.  The only standing rule is that you shouldn't do something to someone that you wouldn't want done to you.  When younger kids play, we all lighten up.  An article ws written on the history of laX in the fur trade and of the us of it in modern reenactment in the "Journal of the Early Americas."
Aldo Leopold

Offline don't cry wolf

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:43 pm »
Really good idea!! always wanted to do one of these, I played LAX for about 7 years in my younger days