Author Topic: "Tennese Hickory Comes To Michigan"  (Read 35265 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: "Tennese Hickory Comes To Michigan"
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:10 pm »
These staves from Pappy were so perfect and straight thatthey havent given me any trouble. ::)
As they are sister staves and intended as a wedding present I'm trying to come up with something appropriate ???
maybe something sappy like Love and Honor ? ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2007, 12:24:49 pm »
There is a pair of bows going around the TradGang gang that are called "Faith" and "Hope".   How 'bout "His" and "Hers"? ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2007, 08:58:51 pm »
Tapio is an East Finnish forest spirit or god. Hunters prayed to him before a hunt. His wife is the goddess of forest, Mielikki. He was the father of Annikki, Tellervo, Nyyrikki (the god of hunting), and Tuulikki. He figures prominently in the Kalevala.

Mielikki is the Finnish goddess of forests and the hunt. She is referred to in various tales as either the wife or the daughter-in-law of Tapio. She is said to have played a central role in the creation of the bear.

In the Kalevala, the Finnish national epic based on Karelian folklore, the hero Lemminkäinen offers her and Tapio prayers, gold and silver so he can catch the Hiisi elk. In another passage, Mielikki is asked to protect cattle grazing in the forest. In a country where the forest was central to providing food through hunting, gathering and cattle grazing, it was thought very important to stay on her good side.
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2007, 05:43:35 am »
Sounds good to me Marie, Actually this part of country has a strong finnish background. There is even a Finish college here in the UP.
Finlandia University.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

a finnish native

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2007, 06:40:26 am »
since they are in Iraq you could name the bow(s) Turisas (an ancient Finnish god of war) and Ukko (the greatest god and the god of thunder in Finnish mythology).
You could also go for Thor and Tyr. Thor is a god of war and thunder in viking mythology and the son of Odin, the main god and Freya, the goddess of beauty. Tyr is mainly known as the god of war in viking mythology.
You could also go for Ahti and Ukko. Ahti is the god and the spirit of the sea and water, known also as the god of fishing in Finnish mythology

Marie: Have you red Kalevala? if not then how do you know all of this?
We Finns have a very strong bond to our ancient religion, despite the fact that the Swedish  people came and forced finland into Christianity with the armys of the Christian kingdom. (the whole Europe at the time). It still took them almost 300 years to settle Christianity here. Finlands area was the last place in Europe without Christianity and with the heathen religions. You can see this bond for example in the major company names. The forest company is named Tapiola. One of the major banks is named Sampo. The item that Väinämöinen and his companions went to retrieved form Louhi, the witch of the north. Sampo was an item that produced wealth like no other. It gave endless amounts of salt, weed, and gold.
One of our biggest war ships in the 2nd world war was named Väinämöinen.

DanaM: I just found out that I have quite a few relatives in Michigan's upper peninsula from my fathers side. Talk about a small world huh :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:48:14 am by a finnish native »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2007, 11:13:02 am »
Nope the world ain't small anymore. I have an Uncle that goes home to Finland as often as possible.
I'm most likely descended about 1/4 from them swedes yer talking about ;) but mostly french canadian eh ;D
Think I'm going to take a c;oser look at that website Marie. Thanks fer the input both of you.

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2007, 11:20:02 am »
Thought you was out hunting  ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2007, 03:09:42 pm »
Oh I went out but the gods saw fit to rain all over me  >:( On my way back out it appears to have quit.

Manistique, MI

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2007, 04:39:07 pm »
No, I haven't read any of that.  I have always enjoyed mythology (the stories).  When DanaM asked me to give it some thought I turned to none other than...
wikipedia  ;D
I looked up gods and goddesses.  I thought it would be meaningful to have a he/she bow names and something that had either a hunting or romantic meaning behind it.  Maybe you can give Dana more info on those names.  Gods and Goddesses from all areas of the world were listed with their meanings or purpose according to the people who believed in them.  I thought it was very interesting and Dana could find a good pair or names off that list for his special bows for the special couple.  :D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2007, 11:09:43 pm »
   Dana,rain? going home? Oh my,that's the best sneaking weather here.You quit smoking,now it's time to tighten up. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2007, 07:43:09 am »
Eddie did I say rain I meant deluge as in I needed an Arc ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2007, 12:25:58 pm »
Thought I would provide an update, both bows are tillered and shooting, tip overlays are done, wrapping the handles today
all that remains is final sanding and finish. I should be out hunting but Marie's curse is so powerful that I haven't seen so much as a squirrel
lately :( Beware guys don't get on the bad side of Marie or bad things could happen :o Hopefully she will bless this project and all will go well ;)

Sorry no pics you have to wait until their done :)

I'm watching my great niece until the wife gets home. She wanted to know what I was building so I told her bows for her
mom and her fiance, she said cool can I have one, so guess what this will be a trilogy, how can I say no to a cute 8 year old ;D
I already roughed out a 48" maple stave so we shall see what I can do with it. They tell me kids bows are tough.

Manistique, MI