Author Topic: tool idea for Sinew backing and "dovetailing" for turkish style bows"  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Sempertiger

the work it would take to complete a true turkish style bow, with all the dovetail or grooving between each lam might be out of my reach now, but this tool might make it easier for someone that in thinking about it, or for prepping a back for sinew application.

This is a checkering tool. you can get them between 11 lines per inch, up to 26 lines per inch. The one pictured is 16 lines per inch and cuts 3 lines at a time. You can pick  them up from most "gunsmithing" stores and cost about $25 delivered for the handle and cutter.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about sourcing the tool.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: tool idea for Sinew backing and "dovetailing" for turkish style bows"
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:20:30 pm »
That is pretty sweet...any pics of the one with more than 3 lines at a time?  Do you know if they come with handles or not?  Looks like a pretty good option.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »
I don't think they make them over 4 lines wide, and i've not seen them with less than 18 lpi on a 4 wide. I think the least lpi for a 3 line cutter is 16, larger than that gets into the 2 lines wide, and single wide, which you can do whatever you want, but it will take much more time. you can buy handles seperate from cutters, or you can pick up a package, single cutter with single handle, or multiple cutters with multiple handles. The kits are really designed for traditional rifle checkering. I think most of them would include cutters that wouldn't be used for cutting grooves for lams. Howerver, if you wanted to checker a wood handle on a bow, they might be very usefull.

I sent you a link to the source for them. there are various manufacturers and an amazing amount of different cutters.
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10:34 pm »
Thanks for the link and idea...I think the "3-Edge Spacer 18 Lines Per Inch 60-Degree" is probably a real good option for lam & horn prep.   It isn't in stock right now but I think I'll put an order in for one and a handle, thanks for the idea and tip!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:08 pm »
Thanks for the quick heads up Gun Doc, hopefully they will cancel my hastily placed order  ::)  Guess it's back to plan B which is to use a small triangle file to cut grooves in one of my old scrapers,  I think that will do the trick.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:48:43 pm »
Adam Karpowitz cut's the scrapers with a triangle file. I'm pretty sure James switched over to a special type of hacksaw blade.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:54:29 pm »
Thanks Stix...wonder if James has posted a pic of his tool on here before?
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »
If you have any sort of aptitude with a file you can mark and cut grooves in a scraper that are accurate to within the recommended glue line thickness.
 Threads for screws used to be cut by hand.
 You can still buy cogs for a bicycle with hand-filed teeth.
 Doing stuff like this is really just the same idea as building a selfbow versus a lam bow with machine cut lams.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:20 am »
I've had some frustrating moments with a set of these and some cheap walnut. They sure like to follow grain. I was thinking that you could clamp  a straight edge to the piece of wood and use it as a guild, moving it as you complete each set of 3 lines. I was thinking that I have a 2"x1/4" stick of alluminum that is 9 feet long that i could use, but it would be extremely time consuming, as you mentioned.

I just saw my set of checkering tools on my workbench this morning and was reminded of the section of TBB on composite bows.

Lots of good advice and it appears that there are better tools for the job. :)

JS
~Albert Einstein~

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 04:29:34 am »
Lee DON'T use an old scraper use a new. top quality eg. hardest available. Clamp a saw blade with the right tpi to it and get filing! This way works perfectly. Obviously you need to be accurate when filing but it's not difficult. Follow Adam's book because he knows what he is talking about! It can also be done with a router - look on Atarn.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:54:21 am »
Lee DON'T use an old scraper use a new. top quality eg. hardest available. Clamp a saw blade with the right tpi to it and get filing! This way works perfectly. Obviously you need to be accurate when filing but it's not difficult. Follow Adam's book because he knows what he is talking about! It can also be done with a router - look on Atarn.

Thanks Mike, I saw that wild router blade setup but I think that bit cost $300 so I think that option is out for me.  I have Adam's book but I haven't read or looked through it in about 6 months (I devoured it when it arrived at my door) but I need to read it a few more times before I start my horn/core grooving process.

Are you saying clamp a saw blade to the scraper?  Not sure I follow that...
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold