Author Topic: String length  (Read 1641 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

String length
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:02:59 am »
I know the AMO standards for bow string lengths, brace heights, arrow lengths and such are some crazy set of rules that confounds Philadelphia Lawyers, but I gotta ask this one:

How long a string am I making for a slightly reflexed effing-glass-over-wood bow that is 66" from nock to nock?  I have one of those string making jigs and I know exactly what notches to use when I am making a string for one of my bows, but I ain't so sure for this heretic.  I know I like a 5 3/4 to 6 1/4 inch brace height for myself, but I have no idea what this one needs. 

Normally I would send him to Cabelas for a string, but he's thinking about taking out a gorgeous hackberry tree and I want him to let me "help"!  I got staves riding on this!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

Re: String length
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:11:09 am »
I would go with 64" and if it needs to be shortened twist it up a little, but that should be close....  effinglass....  heehee. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:56 am »
I gotta admit, it is a pretty bow.  It's a custom made glassed jobbie.  The guy says it's bubinga.  The wood is a deep cherrywood looking stuff with a little of that wonderful 3D stuff that edgegrain  osage shows.  The owner says his buddy that he went thru 4 years in the Army with made it for him when they got back home.  He's kinda excited about shooting it again after leaving it in a closet for 10 years while he went to the training wheels stuff. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:20 am »
bubinga is pretty stuff... shame for a bow to sit around for ten years in a closet.  I have to shoot each of mine every couple of weeks or I feel guilty for neglecting them. I think about the ones I have made differently than ones that I have bought though. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:31:35 am »
JW,

I make my strings 3" short of n2n for longbows and 4" short of n2n on recurves.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:16 am »
JW,

I make my strings 3" short of n2n for longbows and 4" short of n2n on recurves.

George
Sounds good to me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:44 am »
I do the same as George,well I use to now I just ask Jon to make me a string. ;) :D :D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good