Author Topic: Helping some new guys get started  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Weylin

Helping some new guys get started
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:45 am »
A couple of friends that live across the street told me that they really want to learn how to make their own bows. I'm certainly no expert but I feel like I know enough to get them started in the right direction. I'd like some advice from you more experienced people about what the best way to start off a new bowyer. My current idea is to cut some easy to find bow wood like hazelnut or vinemaple and start it seasoning and in the meantime help them make a few bendy-handled board bows to get the hang of tillering. By the time their staves are ready they should have a better chance of getting a shootable bow out of them. Good idea, bad idea, any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!  8)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Helping some new guys get started
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:59:19 am »
Sounds like a plan. You will be amazed how much you learn when you start teaching someone else. Good luck.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:17:19 am »
Not sure I would start someone on vine maple. I broke 6 in a row before I got my first one to hold together. All that reflex is hard to handle for an inexperienced bowyer. Hazelnut is good though.
Gordon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:25:44 am »
Good point Gordon, I'm 0-1 on vine maple myself...  :-\

I'm thinking about whittling that broken vine maple stave down to a kids bow for my soon too be 3 year old. We'll see how that works... at least that piece of wood will have a second chance at life. ::)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:30:00 am by Weylin »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:43:04 am »
Better yet take them out to cut there own wood because for me that is allot of the fun of building bows harvesting wood and searching for that non exsisting perfect stave. ;D I never have had problems with Vine Maple breaking but I have had it fret on me due to bad tiller. I agree the Hazelnut might be a better choice to start as its usually easy too find a straight piece :D Look forward to an update when things get going!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:59:18 am »
    I had a new friend over today to try building his first bow too. I have dozens of birch staves all ready to go, and I think I've made all the mistakes possible with birch, so I can help him avoid them. He'll be my 6th student, and all except one of them got shooters their first time. I love getting people started and seeing the look on their faces when they shoot that first arrow.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:35:31 am »
sound's like good times, have fun with it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:39:06 am »
I like the idea of starting right out with a stave bow. Boards can be so frustrating. They where to me anyway!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »
Josh, I wasn't clear in my first post. I do intend to take them out to cut their own staves. I agree that's all part of the fun.

PD, If I had some staves sitting around for them to use I would just start there but all I have is some yew and, well... that's not gonna happen.  >:D So I feel like cutting staves and waiting half a year is just gonna kill their enthusiasm. I'm not all that enamored with board bows either but at least it's cheap and something they can get their hands on immediately. That's my thoughts anyway, I'd love for you to try and talk me out of it. that's why I made this post.  ;D

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »
I started with an oak board but it's still hanging from the rafters not finished (got to finish it someday?) because I started working on a Mullberry stave at the same time....  just something about working with a stave that pulls me in :)

Pretty cool to be able to help someone else get started....
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:32:38 pm »
Weylin, if I didn't have staves already cured, that's exactly what I'd do too. Waiting a year or two before getting started on a project could kill just about anyone's enthusiasm. I think once a stave is dry it's actually easier than a board bow but at least you can start on  board NOW.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »
I'm with Elktracker get 'em to cut their own.
I got fed up with giving away staves, now if people come to visit I walk 'em over the woods and show them what to look out for and we normally find something suiatble for them either picked up off the floor or they get to cut it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline cook1536

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:23:50 pm »
I am new to bow making and my mentor is PA's Swamp Monkey. Some of you guys might know of him, he made the Eskimo Cable bow and posted on here. He teaches our local bowmaking workshops with Hickory staves. I am currently in the middle of making mine and am having a blast with it, actually built a bowyers bench this weekend so I can work on more besides this one. The only thing he said about hickory was that the whole time you are working it into a bow, it will tell you its not going to be a bow. So far I haven't had any issues with mine and it is turning out really good. Will be posting pics soon.
Archery is seeing how far you can get from your target, Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get to your target.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:33:30 pm »
You had the idea right from the beginning.  Have 'em hunt down and kill their own stave.  While that is seasoning, make a trip to the lumberyard and buy up some oak/hickory boards and get 'em working! 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:07:13 pm »
There are probably a few good ways to go at this.  I teach a class each fall and I use hickory staves and have each person do the same design.  This makes things easier to instruct.  As an added bonus each stave has its own character and problems to solve.  So with the same wood and same design they learn tillering and get to see how to handle problems in other people's staves without having too many other variables to deal with. 

A good Kindergarten teacher will tell you be consistent when you  want someone to learn. 

My big deal is start them with one wood and one method.    Get comfortable with that - then branch out. 

I am glad to hear you are teaching others.  It's good fro you and it is good for the art.