Author Topic: How does the tiller look? -> elm 50@26  (Read 6148 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
How does the tiller look? -> elm 50@26
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:24:12 am »
I'm working on finishing up the elm that Blackhawk has been helping me with.  It's been fighting with me a bit in the home stretch but hopefully I'll come out on top.  There are some knots in the upper limb which make it a bit still toward the top and give it a natural bend 1/2 down so the looks are a bit deceiving.  It's at 50# at 26 and my target draw length is 28.  What do you think of the tiller?  Should I leave well enough alone and get to sanding or are there changes that could effect cast?  All input is greatly appreciated!

The Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0K1hAyYbTk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:27:46 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Weylin

Re: How does the tiller look? -> elm 50@26
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:31:04 am »
Can't see your pictures :(

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:32 am »
Looks good PA. The tiller looks best to me after you flipped it (the second group of pulls). looks like more positive tiller that way. Other than that, nice bend.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:18:15 am »
The upper limb (first set of pulls) needs more bend in the fade.
I like the bend in the other limb though :) Just minor corrections from here on. Scrape that fade a bit, and then increase your braceheight to a full 6" fistmelee. Don't stick with that long string too long.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »
Watched the video, best to get it braced a little higher but there doesnt look like any problems there :)

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:04:58 pm »
I think it is looking very good. I do agree with Darksoul in that my first impression was the upper limb needs some more bend as compared to the lower limb (first pulls) and it would appear to be near the fade where the bend could be increased to even it out. Very minor stuff. Nice work!

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
Thanks much guys!!  Your feedback is extremely useful!  The stiffness in the upper limb fade is noticable.  On one hand there is a knot a few inches down the limb but on the other more than one of my bow's have been stiff there.  Perhaps I'll do a little scraping on the upper limb and then even out to a good positive tiller and call the tiller done.  Now don't overdo it Rob...  :) 

At any rate I'll work on the handle first.  Now I gotta do that darn work thing.  grr...    >:( ;)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:09:38 am »
Still working on finishing up the tiller on my elm. Boy it’s easier when Blackhawk is there!  Haha  Tryin hard to make you proud buddy!   ;)

Ok I tillered down the top limb more and think there is more bend in the fade. It’s now at 47#@26. My target is 28’’ draw. I think I’m going to call the tiller good and move on to the handle and sanding. I’ve rushed my handles in the past so I’m gonna try to take my time and enjoy the process. Lemme know what ya thing of the tiller!!

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px-drA447yk

Thanks!!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:15:24 am »
Hmm, still lookin like the top can use a few more full scrapes...  I'll sleep on it.  BTW the top limb is 3/4 inch shorter due to a overlay accident (first time).  :)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:42:48 am »
Given how it looks when you pull it flipped over (and the fact the top limb is shorter), you might just want to flip the bow and call it a day. Tiller looks pretty good when you pull the top limb as the bottom. Maybe a couple of scrapes near the fade, but it's not at all bad.
Arjun from Reston, VA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 06:46:13 am »
@NruJaC believe me I've almost done that 50 times.  But I'm on a mission from God to make that limb work as the top.  thanks!

Ok took a break from tillering and worked on the handle. I'll smooth it out tomorrow but I'm happy with the start. Handle suggestions are very welcome as well! 

Thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:42:18 am »
Too bad I coudlnt get to my phone or a comp till this morn, I would've just flipped it around rob. Too late now tho as you've cut the handle in....we could heat treat it again n move things over a tad if need be. How much of the inch of reflex we induced have you lost?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:49:04 am »
It looks good !
Just sand it and shoot it awhile ,I think you will enjoy it enough to finish it up where its at !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 02:58:32 pm »
@Blackhawk np brother.  I was keeping a watchful eye for your comments.  I thought maybe this was some sort of test.  You can be sneaky like that.  Like Mr. Miyagi's training methods.   ;D  Ya I knew it would have been easiest to flip it but I remembered us discussing making that the top limb early because of the knots and decided it was a challenge to stick to plan.  I'm trying to take my time and really learn each step.  I got a bit careless wiht the overlays and violated the back.  But other than that i've been in no hurry.  let me ask a really noob question that I think I know but have been embarased to ask...  The fades are the area of the limb closest to the handle right?  About how many inches are they?  For example, when people suggest to allow for more beinding in the fades.   :P 
I just can't believe how crazy stiff the top limb was to the bottom.  I've taken about 11# off the top limb alone and it's still a bit more stiff.  How many #s do you think heating it agian may add?  I didn't realize doing it twice was an option.

@Guy thanks man!  I'm thinking more along those lines every minute.  :)  I'd be more patient if shooting wasn't so much fun!!   ;D
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:13 pm »
You could also shorten the bottom limbcto the same as top limb. That would stiffen up the bottom limb.
Steve Bennett