Author Topic: Yew selfbow safe pull  (Read 11034 times)

Offline amadorbowman

Yew selfbow safe pull
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:36:08 pm »
Just bought a Strunk yew selfbow off that great supplier of archery goods, ebay. Although it wont qualify as a warbow, it looks like a good place to start.
Here are my concerns: I havent rec'd the bow yet, but according to the seller, it is 72" and listed as 62# at 25". My conventional longbow that I shoot now is 28" draw. Anyone think that may present a problem?
Thanks!

Offline adb

Re: Yew selfbow safe pull
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:52:21 pm »
Well, overdrawing a longbow will usually break it. If it's tillered to 25", then definately don't draw it to 28". I usually only overtiller my bows 1"... meaning you could safely draw it 1" passed specified tiller.

Have you measured your actual draw length? For longbows, it's usually much shorter than most people think. Nock an arrow, come to full draw at your anchor point, and make a mark on the arrow from the back of the bow (NOT the belly!!). Longbow draw lengths are measured from the back of the bow. Now, measure from the valley of the arrow's nock to your mark... voila, your actual draw length. You'll probably be surprised what it comes out to. With recurves, I draw 28", but with a longbow, I'm about 26". You lose a bit of draw length because when yore shooting a longbow, your wrist is not straight.

Most off the shelf bows are made to an AMO standard 28".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:57:45 pm by adb »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:56 pm »
If it's an ELB design (full compass tiller) then 28" should be no problem at all for a 72" self Yew bow.
If it's the American version of a "longbow" with a nonbending centre section then I have no idea!
As a rule I'd say consult the bowyer.
Obviously if you do intend to take it to 28 do it in stages, preferably on a tiller where you can see it.
If it's 62# at 25" and say it comes up at 4# per inch (probably an exageration) that would still only be 74# which is perfectly reasonable for a full compass self yew bow of 72" at 28"
Just my opinion of course.
Del
BTW. Make sure there is no one standing behind you with a paper bag in their hands when you first try it at 28" :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:41:13 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:38:00 pm »
If it's an ELB design (full compass tiller) then 28" should be no problem at all for a 72" self Yew bow.
If it's the American version of a "longbow" with a nonbending centre section then I have no idea!
As a rule I'd say consult the bowyer.
Obviously if you do intend to take it to 28 do it in stages, preferably on a tiller where you can see it.
If it's 62# at 25" and say it comes up at 4# per inch (probably an exageration) that would still only be 74# which is perfectly reasonable for a full compass self yew bow of 72" at 28"
Just my opinion of course.
Del
BTW. Make sure there is no one standing behind you with a paper bag in their hands when you first try it at 28" :)

I prefer to use a stick of very well seasoned cedar instead of a paper bag.  If you bend it carefully you get "tick...tick...CRACK".    >:D

Del has some experience with longbows, I'd go along with him on this one. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:03:36 am »
I think asking John Strunk is good advice. He's a super friendly guy and would certainly know what he's talking about in regards to that bow.

Offline amadorbowman

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:31 am »
Thanks for all the info guys. I measured my draw on my current Abbott longbow: 27" on a 28" draw/50 lbs rated modern style longbow. I think I'll see if I can find an email or something for John Strunk and get his thoughts.

Offline amadorbowman

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:43:14 am »
Just got a quick reply from John Strunk. He basically said that the extra 2" of draw shouldn't be a problem although it will obviously increase the weight (probably to about 70#, not a problem). He did mention tho that I should watch the tiller to make sure it doesn't change. Any advice on the best way to measure that on a selfbow with no fadeouts? :)

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:46:32 am »
What Del said then.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:19 am »
What you should do if you want to draw this bow farther is do it by exercising the bow in 1" increments and pay attention to how the bow feels in your hand as you pull it.  If the tiller starts to change you will feel the bow try to tilt in your hand, either up or down.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:35:09 am »
Yes make sure you increase the draw length slowly. If it has been shot at 25 for a long time then suddenly pulling it to 28 would not be a good idea. A bow of that length should be able to handle 28 but like the others have said only 1 inch at a time and DON'T rush.
The arrow shaft is a very funny trick :) I showed a guy at my local club how to make a bow. Lovely new hawthorn bow first real shot....I just couldn't resist it.....SNAP hehehehe:) He almost had kittens

Offline amadorbowman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:20:30 am »
Got the bow today via the post office and wow! Its a beauty. Took it to the local archery shop to have a new string made and an arrow plate installed on the correct side (I'm a lefty). The shop owner was suitably impressed; particularly when I told him what I paid for it.

Overdrawing it will not be a problem for now. Holy Cow! I had no idea that going from a 50 lb bow to a 62+ pounder would be that much of a challenge. I can barely pull about 21". Obviously I will have to do some arm/shoulder exercises to build up those muscles.

All in all though, its obvious John Strunk builds a beautiful bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 02:11:04 am »
Yeah, John didn't get his reputation outa the bottom of a Cracker Jack box, that is for sure!

Let's see some photos...full draw shots too!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:34:57 am »
Yup, pics would be good.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 02:26:58 am »
Pics, pics, pics!

Offline amadorbowman

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 05:23:52 pm »
OK,OK, I promise to post some pics. Just a bit embarrassed to post pics with my puny pull. Am only pulling about 21" right now and with sore shoulders after trying to work the bow a little.
Am out of town now but will post a couple when I get home.
I also have a guy in England right now that is making me a "warbow light;" hickory bow, 72-76", 70-80 lbs. Don't have the exact specs yet, still in the process of completing it.