Author Topic: need ideas for a new bow ( pics added)  (Read 3277 times)

Offline jturner

need ideas for a new bow ( pics added)
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:41 am »
i want to make an osage static recurve, its my first try. Ive been searching on here and im thinking 60 to 62 inches 1 1/2" at fades taper to 1 inch 8 to 10 inches from tips down to 3/4" tips, 4 inch handle 1 1/2" fades. how wide do I leave the tips when bending? how far from the tips do I want my bend? if I can figure out how to put pics on here I post pics as I go. let me know if these measurements sound good or what I need to change.  stave is 80 inches by 3 inches wide, very clear and straight from pearl drums
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:43:29 am by jturner »
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: need ideas for a new bow
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:29:01 am »
Your overall measurements sound good. If you are drawing 26" I'd say go with 60" to 62", if 28" draw, 62" to 64". Keep your tips 3/4" wide for bending and until you get to first low brace. At that time you can tell how the string is tracking and narrow the tips, one side or the other to get the string to line up if necessary. Later, reduce the tip width to 3/8".
  Here is a similar bow to what you want. 60"t/t, 1 3/8" at the fades and out until the last 8" or so then tapering to 3/8" tips. The limbs bend to the handle. Handle is 4" and the fades are1 1/2". I can feel it give at full draw. She pulls 56#@26"(on my scale) The actual recurve is about 6" long.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturner

Re: need ideas for a new bow
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:33:15 am »
Thanks pat, I draw 28, and like a stiff handle. Ive made some short osage bows but never a recurve. how thick should my tips be when I steam them? i plan on chasing a ring on the belly before bending
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: need ideas for a new bow ( pics added)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:43:10 am »
WOW! Thats a fine stave Jake, good recurve wood. You dont need to worry about the belly, leave the whole thing 5/8" thick and 1 1/2" wide, then steam the tips for 45 minutes and bend them. Odds are the belly will crack on both limbs. Thats what the extra thickness at the tips is for. The cracks will be long gone by the time you tiller the bow out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »
Sure love that Osage Stick Pat!!!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jturner

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:16 am »
got it roughed out 64" 1 5/8 for 12 inches tapering to 1" tips for now, it has a lil twist but not bad. one limb has about 2" reflex the other has about 1" reflex. I am using steam for the tips, do ya think I can get away with dry heat to straighten the twist? its 5/8 thick right now
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:00 am »
The twist doesn't look that bad, you could probably get it out at the same time that you're steaming the tips.
Arjun from Reston, VA

Offline jturner

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:22:58 am »
got one limb sraightend and recurved
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:29:15 am »
Looking good so far Jake. Them is some sharp statics. I like it! I use dry heat for just about everything anymore. Satic tips are the only exception. Dry heat can do allot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jturner

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:41 am »
i have both tips bent now, my plan was to leave the tips thick and thin the rest of the belly, them put it on my caul and reflex 3 inches and straighten limbs with dry heat. is that a good plan? is 3 inches too much on a bow this short?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:57 am »
Good plan. I would suggest 2" of reflex. If you where sinewing it I would go more.

Offline jturner

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:10:53 am »
my caul is 3 inches in 6 feet, if I cut it off to fit this bow should be bout 2 inches. How thin should I go on my limbs before I straighten and reflex? 1/2" or little less? tryin for 45 to 55 @ 28
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:01 am »
Leave it whole and just center your bow. I would get my limbs between 1/2 & 5/8 thock, no thinner.