Author Topic: Present day Hadza hunter  (Read 9173 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Present day Hadza hunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:06 am »
Beautiful picture.  I like that club and archery set a lot..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:51:37 am »
that is an awesome picture! would love to see that at full draw.
       Very nice. Is it just me or does that bow look exactly like an ELB?
Too short for an ELB...
Del
it is as tall as he is
When I measure it on my monitor and then measure against him, it reaches from the top of his head down to mid calf.
That make it about 10-12 inches shorter than him if we assume he's 6' for the sake of argument.
Maybe one of us has a monitor which is distorting the horizontal or vertical?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 06:57:46 am »
  Awesome pic and info, thanks for sharing

Offline coaster500

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 03:03:57 pm »
Men tend to make long bows, about six feet in length, which are exceptionally powerful and heavy to pull. By testing several Hadza bows in the field using a spring balance, Woodburn determined that more than 100 pounds of force were required to draw an average bow fully. He concluded that Hadza hunters prefer powerful bows to accurate ones, which matched his observation that the Hadza hunt from very close range, 25 to 50 yards to shoot impala, zebra, eland or giraffe. Some Hadza also eat predators, including lion, leopard, and other wild cats, or perhaps scavengers like jackal, hyena and vulture, but they draw the line at reptiles like monitors, snakes and lizards. They use poisoned arrow tips to hunt large animals. Once a beast has been wounded, the hunter waits a few hours for the poison to act and then tracks the wounded animal until it dies.

by

The Hadza Tribe of Tanzania
Millett, Katherine

I like this guys idea of close range :) "very close range, 25 to 50 yards"  I'd say they used pretty accurate bows if he actually witnessed the hunts?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Loki

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:31:15 pm by Loki »
Durham,England

Offline juan lopez

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 06:56:58 pm »
Excellent picture

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 10:17:07 pm »
Shaun thanks for sharing; great photo, its always nice to see a "primitive" weapon.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:43 pm »
100 pounds??   ???

What about construction of their bows? Any info on that? From the video posted and your picture, looks like the back is rounded and the belly slightly rounded as well so it resembles a tillered stick. I would doubt they would fell large diameter trees especially since they live in a savannah so the use of 2 inch and under diameter saplings would probably be used? Could i be correct?

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »
Soooo Cooool!

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:16 am »
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »
Nice pic.  Very cool.  I wish I were a Hadza.  Nice vids Loki.  Refereing to the second video...interesting their fletch glue was made by chewing various plant materials.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Deo

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:51 pm »
Some of the last remaining free people left on this planet, Localized democracy, autonomy and best of all no taxes. I would give up all this fancy technology and living a long time for 40 short years of living off the land with my family and clansmen any day of the week. I was born in the wrong place or time.