Author Topic: Mockingjay bow - "hunger games" youth bow  (Read 19846 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: Mockingjay bow - "hunger games" youth bow
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »
I like the look of the bow and arrows....  that parts pretty cool!!

I've seen some equipment in other movies that was comical to say the least :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »
I had a film director upset because my bows didn't "creak" properly.  I told him to go talk to the foley guys.  Creaking bows are VERRRRRRY expensive, much easier to add in during post production.  hehehehe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 08:28:04 pm »
beautiful bow monkey, I'm actually buildin a bow right now for a friend of the family. She's graduating high school in May and a big  fan of both archery and The Hunger Games. I'm attempting to build a holmie and hope it turns out. I'm following ADB's Holmegaard build along so I got a good set of instructions to follow. After lookin at this picture though, I think I need to narrow the working portion of my limbs down to make it match more...

Here's the link to mine, in much need of more tillering. Any thoughts on if I should narrow at this point or not?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31843.0.html

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »
That is a great looking trad bow, that's a great thing to see in a recent movie. It sure will peak some interest in archery. I wonder how they their hire bow makers, cause that would make for one cool job
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 03:08:33 am »
If it's like LOTR the bow is actualy molded rubber.  The arrows go exactly where the director says they will go. :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:17:25 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 03:14:10 am »
It is wonderful to see the passing forward of the tradition  :)

However, I think you may need to call the producers of the movie and offer to teach the "star" a thing or two before she hurts herself  :-\
I don't know if this has already hit the round table but look at the attached promo pic from the movie. You'd think a major hollywood event would warrant someone at least showing her how to hold the bow  ???...or better yet where to nock the arrow on the string  :o. Or am I just whistling dixie and not familiar with this technique?

Finger I can't comment on.  String nock point... look on You Tube for the "string walking" technique.  Not that I suggest that is what is going on here.  I'm pretty shure if there could be captions to the pic it would read, Her:"Like this"?  Photographer: "Yea... just look determined, focused and HOT. Hold that.  Wait.. what the hell?  Who turned off my flash?!.  Hold it honey.... Clicks,  just like that .. hey point your figer.  That will look cool"!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 03:16:10 am »
It sorta looks like she is balancing her arrow on her wrist... And with a nocking point like that I feel bad for the bow, i wonder if it's fiberglass or wood, it's so hard to find a movie with a good traditional bow in it :(

Check out "Lost Future"... nice primitive bow there.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 04:51:53 am »
The bows in the movie are made out od good ol' Indiana osage, John Scifres who I am proud to be able to call a good friend is the feller who made the bows.

Here's a link with some info from John.

http://auction1.tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=164;t=000009
 If this shouldn't be posted please delete.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway