Author Topic: Rawhide backing Question  (Read 1932 times)

Offline hook

Rawhide backing Question
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:37 pm »
Ok, 2 weeks ago I glued some rawhide backing on my grandsons Osage Bow (in progress) because the growth rings were REALLY thin.
I decided after trying to chase 3 of these not to whittle this stave away 1mm at a time to add the backing and not worry about chasing a dream, I mean a ring!
Anyway, long story short: I used 3 rivers Rawhide about the thickness of a dime and TB 3.
Last night I trimmed the overlaps on the edges off with a (very) sharp knife. Tonight I was using a the fine side of a 4 in hand rasp to clean up the sides when I noticed that the thicker blobs of excess glue had some elasticity to them and would kind of roll up and off rather the turn into fileing dust.
THIS IS THE QUESTION PART:
Is it dry enough after two weeks indoors in WV winter humidity to try and start bending? Is this typical of TB 3??
By the way there is an earlier post where I asked for Rawhide backing help but I can't find it.

Thanks guys

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Rawhide backing Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:06:36 pm »
Simple answer yes its dry enough after two weeks, a week is more than enough time IMO. Make sure and post pics when done! ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »
Thick gobs of glue will cure on the surface blocking the moisture from inside the pocket from escaping.  Those pockets can be gooey for a loooong time.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:23 pm »
I agree with both of ya's! But I dont even wait 2 weeks with that same recipe. I wait 2-3 dyas max. I use a very light spread of glue on both bow and rawhide.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:35 am »
A couple of days in a dry place at most for me also using Rawhide/TB3. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hook

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:27:22 am »
Thanks guys, wish me luck! im gonna start "training" it to be a bow tonight!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:53 am »
Good luck,be stern but gentle with her. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:03 am »
I use nothig but TB3 for thin rawhide, and I usually only wait a couple of days for it to dry. Never had a problem yet.