Author Topic: Rescued from obscurity  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Rescued from obscurity
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:57 am »
I figured that with turkey season only a couple weeks away, I had better get off my butt and get this years bow wood harvest underway. The bugs and snakes are still in their dens and the foliage is down, so nows the time.
 I have been looking at this tree for the past 4yrs. Its osage orange, about 16" diameter. It is straight for about 7ft and has one clean side for that length. I decided to talk to the land owner and asked him if I could harvest the tree and take the trunk for bow wood and the rest will heat our home next winter. He not only said yes but he also agreed to help my drop it, as it would require getting it to fall on the trail, away from where it would normally want to fall.
 It was in a draw that is a dry creek runoff most of the time, but during the wet season runs a little stream down hill. It was tucked away with protection from the prevailing north./ south winds and was at one time under the growth canopy of a very large elm ( that is now all gone except the 28" stump).  I think that is what caused it to grow straight.

Heres the log on the ground

Here is the shot of the butt end. It looks about 86yrs old. It also looks like the first 18-20yrs were pretty lean for it while it took root under the elm. The middle growth rings were micro thin but after about 20yrs it started putting on some really nice 1/8-1/16" rings.

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Rescued from obscurity
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:06:08 am »
It looks like it will yield 7 nice staves and a fat couple of billet splits that should yield 2 sets of twins.

I will get them debarked in the next week or so and then they will go into the wood shed with the rest of their cousins and await their turn at becoming bows. Here is the shed.

Here is a view of some of my stash in the shed

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:10:37 am »
Hear is the shed I dry my wood in. At one time 60yrs ago it was a full time cattle feeder, but now its the best wood shed I could ever hope for.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:11:04 am »
You can get belly splits off most of those staves. It don't take much osage to make a good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:17:14 am »
Yeah Pat, I figured I could but since I have'nt yet I figure conservatively I would get 7 for sure. I'm not normally too hot on billets but I just could'nt pass on these. I have an abundance of full length staves already but the billets look so clean I figured "maybe takedown material".

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:44:52 am »
Yes Sir!

That's some Purty Wood!
And a Darn Fine Stash!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:29:07 am »
Very nice stash!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 02:39:43 am »
Nice! Let me know if you're willing to part with a stave  :laugh:
Arjun from Reston, VA

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:52:55 am »
Hey, if you arent too very attatched to those billets... We could work something out? Serrously...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:53:29 am »
Thanks guys, theres a lot of work in them there staves. I suppose we could work something out on a set of the billets and maybe a stave or two from the stash. The staves would be good workable stuff but not without a bit of twist or a knot or two. I did'nt really post this for that reason, but if a guy r two was running short we could work out something I'm sure. Danny

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:55:21 am »
Good looking haul,ought to make some mighty fine bows. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:10:02 am »
Sweet haul danny...im jealous cus I've been dying to go out n cut some serious wood...spring is almost here...its so close I swear I can taste the chips from my saw ;D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:32 am »
I have found matched billets to be the best bow wood out there. Pretty easy to get 40" of clear wood out of an osage tree, 65"-72" not so easy.

Mike McGuire told me they didn't fool with billet wood and sold truckloads at very reasonable prices. Wish Mike lived closer so could relieve him of some of his unwanted wood. 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »
Very nice, looks like you've got a real nice spot there.
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 01:38:14 pm »
Nice haul Danny.  Looks like you are set for a good year of bowmaking.  I'm sure you will turn them into some fine bows.  Now the fun part of removing the bark and sapwood starts.  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left