Author Topic: Plant String Build Along  (Read 16355 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Plant String Build Along
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:26 am »
Making a loop after you have made a cord:

Making good and strong plant fiber bowstrings that are simply two plys takes skill.  Too much bark left on or thin sections will make a string weak.  An option for the beginner is to take cord you have already made and double it over and reverse twist that into a bow string. 

Plant strings whether they are single ply or double ply, in my estimation are thicker than normal modern arrow nocks.  I think that helps explain Native American y nocks or other nock variations that allow for a thicker string. 

This method will more than double the original cords test poundage.   Even though you are doubling the cord over, Reverse twisting helps more than double your strength because you are not only over coming the tensile strength of the fibers you also have to over come the friction of reverse twisting to break the string.  However, because you are reverse twisting again you will loose roughly a third of the length in your final product.  What I mean is a 20 feet long cord doubled over and reverse twisted will not yield a 10 feet long cord end product.  It will be more like 7.5 feet.   Always consider the length cord you need, then double that number and multiply by 1.33.  This will give you plenty.

If you come up short like I did on the last picture.  Simply untie the knot for your original cords and splice in some new segments until they are long enough.  You may have to unravel a few inches do do this. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:31:23 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:27 am »
Splices:

Splicing is where the sweet stuff happens.  If you do it well you get a good looking strong string.  Do it poorly and well, you get it. 

First, remember those small short fibers you saved?  This is where you use them.  When making your cord you may see a thin spot or notice one fiber bundle is thinner than the other.  Keep your fiber bundles equal by splicing in fibers as needed. 

Next, as you progress along the cord, the fiber bundle you are working with will eventually end and you need to splice a new fiber bundle in.  The trick to splicing is to make sure the two fiber bundles do not splice at the same place.  This is the same reason bricks are offset on each successive row.  Strength!

Consider thickness and you might even need to taper the ends by trimming so the splice is smooth and undetectable.  save these scraps too they make great fire starting "tow".

I will get a picture of that and the elbow splice to post later.  Then I will demonstrate how to clean up a fuzzy plant string.   Give me a few days.  Life gets busy!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:28:02 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »
Thanks Swamp,I needed the picture of dogbane,I have done the cordage but it was always gave to me after cut,To lazy to look it up.  :)
   Pappy
. Glad to be of service.  If y'all have questions holler.  Exchanging ideas is part of what this site is all about,

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 12:40:43 am »
Nice Build along!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 01:54:06 am »
Yes Sir swamp monkey!

Very Cool Build Along!

Been wanting to give this a go.

Thank You!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »
Great buildalong..I was playing around with sunflower stalk building a flute. Noticed it beening rather fiberous. Ever try it?
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 01:01:07 am »
Great buildalong..I was playing around with sunflower stalk building a flute. Noticed it beening rather fiberous. Ever try it?
Thanks Leroy

No, but you have made me curious.  Try getting the fibers out of a fresh stalk and a dry one and see which one works best.  I have tried stuff like cypress inner bark, ERC inner bark, iris leaves, yucca, rattlesnake master, bison hair, and paper napkins.  Not all of it was strong or easy.  You just never know what will work until you try!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:33:26 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 12:42:13 pm »
Fine job on this build a long !!
you are much better at finding the right words than I am !
Thank you for your contributions to our site !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mitch

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 05:28:24 pm »
 ;D Well all i got here in Midland is yucca and sage.  >:D not much to complain about, the stuff makes great cordage!   :)
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline Stoker

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:01 am »
Took a peice of sunflower stalk that was in my shop it was really dry. Split nice but the stalk I feel was to dry. Got some nice fibres but overall 2 out of 10. Next fall I'll try again when it's fresher. I still have hope.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:26 pm »
Elbow splice:

A regular splice involves placing a new fiber bundle in one leg of the cordage.  An elbow splice puts that fiber bundle in both legs.  This works as easily as the other method but can lead to sudden bulges in the cord.  This is not very strong or pleasing to the eye.  My suggestion is to make sure any fibers you elbow splice are thinner for one side.  Proper thickness where the bundle bends is vital to making a  splice that doesn’t create a bulge. 

BTW:  I went back through the thread and posted a few new pix in key spots so if you have been keeping up thus far you might want to go back and skim for those inclusions.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:06:37 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »
Cleaning up fuzzy string:

You can give your string a haircut with some sharp scissors or use a candle.  I do both.  Big sections that will not burn well get trimmed.  The rest of the thin stuff gets toasted. 
The picture below shows a fuzzy string and one with a huge fuzzy section.  That one gets the scissors.   NOTE:  Fuzziness is not fatal.  I remove it as a matter of craftsmanship.  Fuzzy strings work just fine.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »
Process for trimming with heat:

Hold the cord above the flame.  Too far above and you look really silly with a fuzzy rope that never gets any better looking.  Too close to the flame and you get scorch marks  on the cord or worse end up with two ropes.     >:D >:D

Not cool.   

You will figure it out.

The set up and process are depicted below.  I worked on Marsh milkweed and dogbane. 

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:02 pm »
The end product is a nice neat cord that is both strong and beautiful.  I will need a few more days but want to get some pix of a bow with a plant string as well as some miscellaneous notes and tips I have learned over the years.  I have a busy week ahead so it may be next week before I post again. 

I may even post some pix of primitive skills items you can use cordage for. . . just as inspiration. 

Thanks for reading along and I hope you feel the urge to make plant fiber string. 

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 11:31:07 pm »
The April/May 2012 issue of PA just hit my mail box.  Inside is an article on Flemish string construction.  The pix show how to reverse twist if you want to see an example of how that is done. 

BTW: Flemish strings were made possible because flax plant fibers were long enough to allow the process without splicing new material.  Those plant strings are cool stuff eh?