Author Topic: What is the Secret?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline hook

What is the Secret?
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:43:59 pm »
I dont know how to get longer flakes when I am pressure flaking. I am using a copper wire that is slightly rounded from 3 rivers.
All I usually end up with is a large negative bulb. I push in hard enough to hold the flaker in place and then sort of pry down to loose the flake.
This is a fairly thick 1/4" piece of colored novaculite.

any ideas?? :embarassed:

Offline Will H

Re: What is the Secret?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:39:52 pm »
Well there is no short answer... Basically the secret to getting long flakes with pressure is the same as getting long flakes with percussion. You have to have good convexity on the face your working. Which means taking short flakes sometimes to get everything right. This fact eluded me for a long time until one day it clicked. AHAH!! It was a good moment... ;D  When pressure flaking build up of inward pressure before you snap the flake off is key. Also good platform preperation is a must... Somebody once told me that it takes a ton of rock to get it figured out. Literally! 2000lbs! Im well beyond that now and am still learning but I feel like Im starting to get the hang of it  ;)  Knap on brother! Go to knapins, watch as many knappers as you can. Read and watch videos online. But most of all keep bustin rock. Thats my 2 cents... Hope it helps  :) :) :)
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:53:35 pm »
What Will said about building up inward pressure clicked with me one day I read that and thought I would give it a go didn't make sense until I read one of his earlier posts about that. I still haven't gotten it quite figured it out but I'm one day closer anyways.

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
Will is correct! The only thing I would add is all materials are differant. Some materials are tough & some are tender. I have had some that percussion good , but donlike long pressure flakes. Its a feel you get after that 2000 or so Lbs of flint you trash learning the art of Knapping. Tower. 

P S listen to will in my Opinion he is an accomplished knapper.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline hook

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:06:48 pm »
what about the flaker point its self? sharper? rounder? which is better? do both have their place? if so do explain.....thanks
Im just talking about thining a arrowhead size piece. a lot of mine end up nice to look at but too thick for hafting.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:13:35 pm »
I like mine sharp. It increases the psi on the stone creating a more precise removal . Look at the point first. I hit the high spots first. Try to make the blade flat in proflie. Then I build a contious platform to continue thinning look after every flake is removed. You might need to build a little convexity or adjust your pattern of flaking.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:21:13 pm by Tower »
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:22:12 pm »
Sharper is better Hook. Sometimes I sharpen my copper 2 or 3 times while making a piece. Try using a hammer to get your copper to a point, then lightly file to dress it up. Hammering hardens the copper and helps it stay sharp longer  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:09:51 pm »
I sharpen the point on all my pressure flakers and it makes a big difference coupled with properly prepared platforms. I still struggle with platforms, but do slot better when I slow down and prep the edge right.

Thick points are useable, just have to get the base thinned to accept the shafting. Good luck and stick with it

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956