Author Topic: unique bow stave wanted  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

unique bow stave wanted
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:50:32 pm »
Im feeling the desire to make something unique.  doesnt have to be the "best" of bow woods, but I am looking for something out of the ordinary that I havent used before.  any ideas?  got anything?  fruit trees maybe   if you have something you arent attached to, hit me up!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline H Rhodes

Re: unique bow stave wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:39:52 pm »
I just cut some staves the other day...  I have a persimmon, a redbud, and a black cherry or two.  The persimmon and black cherry are pretty straight, the redbud has some character.  These are four to six inch trees.....    I can lay my hands on honeylocust, hackberry, hickory, ERC...  anything that grows in Alabama, which is 'bout everything except yew.

I need sinew to finish an osage limb bow i am working on. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:09:46 pm »
thanks, I have all those except honey locust and red bud.   hows that red bud do for bows? I might be intersted in H-L and\or a Redbud  I actually havnt worked any B-locust in a looong while and also be looking For a nice B-Walnut with lotsa heartwood (I want an all heartwood bow)
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline jturner

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:12:39 pm »
I have some long straight sassafrass, tried makin a warbow, ive seen it done but mine didnt work
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:18 pm »
I have not made a redbud bow yet, but have heard that it is very hard wood and that it will make a bow.  Another alabama bowyer on here told me that you need to chase a heart ring with redbud.   It is on my list of bows to make....  I have a honeylocust log that is pipe straight....  about a 7 or 8 inch diameter tree that I could split with you....   Both appear to be beautiful wood.  I have read that honey locust is one of the prettier woods to work with.  This will also be a first time for me using hl as well.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:46 am »
sassafrass has been on my list too mr Turner

and honey locust and red bud both interest me. let me know what you guys both want for your staves and I will see what I can do.  pm me if you wish!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:43 pm »
Ever worked with buckthorn before? I have some of that. Here is a link to a bow I made from it a little while ago.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29263.0.html

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:26:04 pm »
thanks Cody, I have a jim dandy buckthorn stave drying right now....probably is dry by now..its up in my Montana cabin...I'll be bringing it down in the spring!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:38:21 pm »
got some white birch, black ash.
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:36 am »
let me think on that a little bit. birch interests me...but Im not nuts over it yet...I'll have to see a birch bow that blows my mind to get me excited bout it..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:20:54 am »
PM.Sent ( I hope)
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:20 am »
PM.Sent ( I hope)

Am i picking ur brain right..are you thinking one of those laurel rhododendron staves i gave ya? That wood be sweet,either one wood be cool to see what ryan wood do with it,the double breasted knot one,or that awesome long skinny snake. I already made one bow from this lot ryan,so it does work.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:08:31 pm »
I have several mulberry staves that are definitely unique. they snake around a bit but i've made one absolutely fantastic longbow from one of them.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 03:59:16 am »
I have a 35" mesquite stave, I guess it would be a nice little challenge to get a shortbow out of that.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »
Is honey locust the tree with the gigantic thorns? I had to cut an old fallen over tree the other day to make room for an osage tree to fall that I had cut, and it was one of those tree with huge thorns all over it.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair