Author Topic: Local duck hunters in Alberta, Canada  (Read 1971 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Local duck hunters in Alberta, Canada
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »
Follow this like on youtube to see some incredible duck hunting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FZdIrKyBk&feature=share

The eagles are pretty easy to identify, the large hawk with the dark belly band is a rough legged hawk, and most of the rest are prairie falcons.  I think there may have been a few shots of peregrines but I am not totally sure.  (Prairie falcons have a white or pale colored eyebrow line and the peregrine does not.) 

Some of the footage is a little raw, but nature is just that way, nothing lives forever and not all death is pretty.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Local duck hunters in Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »
Cool video, J-Dub.  I remember eagles circling all day when I was hunting at Reelfoot Lake a few years ago.  Our guide said they followed the duck migration every year.  He said he had seen many instances where it was a race between his dog and an eagle to get to a wounded duck.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:10 pm »
Gyr's & Prairies...it just doesn't get much better than that!!!!  Thanks for my FIX JW!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »
Figgers you would catch this thread Lee!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:05 pm »
That's some amazing footage there!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »
We watch the eagles pluck coots up off the water when ever they want one down here.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Kpete

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »
when I lived at Crawford Nebr. I saw a Golden Eagle drop over the top of a tree row and hit a turkey.  Turkey staggered around for a few yards before the eagle swung back and finished him off.  Later that day I walked the field looking for feathers-found several piles of turkey feathers-that Golden was making a living on those wintering turks.
2 weeks ago I was in a walk out basement and saw a flash just outside the window. A sharp-shinned hawk had struck a Eurasian collared dove.  The hawk was bound to the dove, but the dove drug the hawk for about 6 feet until the hawk bit the back of the doves head.  Pretty impressivel
JW thanks for the vid.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:00 pm »
That is pretty neat

Makes me think of a time I was doing some late season duck hunting in the early 70's on this lake I used to like going to.  I was paddling along watching a duck flying along some distance from me when I saw a bird come streaking down from several hundred yards above the duck.  The duck went crazy trying to dodge the falcon trying to get him, which he did.  It was quite an impressive sight to see
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com