Author Topic: The trials and tribulations of making footed arrows  (Read 12462 times)

Offline Stefan

Re: The trials and tribulations of making footed arrows
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 07:32:14 am »
The only reasons I've been able to come up with for why the footing is normally split is that many people add the footing to an already rounded shaft and to keep the overall weight down.

I don't quite understand the statement above. I make footed arrows using the footings from 3 riverarchery, a jig and an already round shaft (5/16 port orford cedar) I use footings beacause they are beautiful but also to improve FOC, it sounds silly to me that when an footing is added to a round shaft this is done to keep the weight down..Hardwood is heavier than cedar, pine or spruce either way it will improve FOC,..

I rarely have an footing split, If it does i haven't made the glue surface of the shaft thin enough or the cut in the footing is to irregular, I always use sandpaper to make the cut in the footing smooth...

I'm interest how your reverse footings will be holding up, would be too bad when the shafts aren't durable with the time invested in them, Post some pics when you have one finished.

greetings

stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:51 pm »
I too would love to see the look of the reverse footing.  Please post a pic if you can.

Russ

Offline Bernal

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 06:18:22 pm »
The only reasons I've been able to come up with for why the footing is normally split is that many people add the footing to an already rounded shaft and to keep the overall weight down.

I don't quite understand the statement above. I make footed arrows using the footings from 3 riverarchery, a jig and an already round shaft (5/16 port orford cedar) I use footings beacause they are beautiful but also to improve FOC, it sounds silly to me that when an footing is added to a round shaft this is done to keep the weight down..Hardwood is heavier than cedar, pine or spruce either way it will improve FOC,..

There's a small difference in the amount of hardwood footing versus the shaft with the reverse footing containing a tad more hardwood and thus a tad more weight. Since this is my first time making footed arrows and thinking about FOC, I'm not sure if the difference would be noticeable or not in the FOC calculation. In any case, that's what I was referring to.

Delivery of the dowel cutter is scheduled for tomorrow, so I hope to have some samples finished by the end of the week.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »
Make the saw cut at right angles to the grain on the footing. Clamp behind the cut. Take your time making the v cut and get it small enough to fit. Glue. Add more clamps as needed. Footings can be done with hand tools. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bernal

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »
Here's a photo of the reverse footing. I can't wait to see how the color of the bloodwood brightens up when it is finished. This weekend we're going to make up a bunch and hopefully be able to start barrel tapering them also.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 05:07:28 pm »
Before you go to any great effort to make more and finish these off, I would suggest that you shoot a few shots at some semi hard target to see if there is any ill effect on the shaft itself - as I fear you may end up splitting the shaft itself.   Hopefully I am wrong - but - i cant help thinking that the hard footing "wants" to open the shaft with every impact. 

Looks good, though - I am sure they will finish up beautifully.

Russ 

Offline Bernal

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »
Before you go to any great effort to make more and finish these off, I would suggest that you shoot a few shots at some semi hard target to see if there is any ill effect on the shaft itself - as I fear you may end up splitting the shaft itself.   Hopefully I am wrong - but - i cant help thinking that the hard footing "wants" to open the shaft with every impact. 

Looks good, though - I am sure they will finish up beautifully.

Russ

The only way that would happen is if the glue fails and if the glue fails it wouldn't matter which way they are made. But yes, I plan to make and test some before making all of them.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:02 am »
The glue is the pivot point in any test of a footed arrow.  Two wing, four wing, 12 wing reversed with a half sumersault matters not if your glue up is bad. 

Good luck with your project.  The first one looks mighty eye candy-like. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rmcpb

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 02:45:22 am »
That is a lovely job!
Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........

Offline Stefan

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 06:12:42 am »
Looking good!! I made a bloodwood (massaranduba) flatbow and it gets a beautiful colour when finished, not as pretty as purperhart but working with purperhart sucks. Did you use the dowel cutter? If so, do you like it?

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:37 pm »
Looking good! Can't wait to see em dolled up and finished.  Josh