Author Topic: Snake skin pockets  (Read 3186 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Snake skin pockets
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:38:34 pm »
Why the heck to my pockets keep raising on me? I keep getting little prickly spots as a result and I dont like it one bit. Anybody know whatta mean? I put the skins on head at handle and tail towards tips. I use tape peeled off from head to tail.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RobWiden

Re: Snake skin pockets
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »
    Too much money in them?
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:37 pm »
Your pretty funny Mr. Widen!...................for a Canadian that is....:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »
pockets?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:10:35 pm »
Scale pockets Paul

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:14:20 pm »
never heard of that term. Are you talking about after the scale comes off you are left with a little skin dangling? If so, I trim and sand down.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:47 pm »
Steel wool in between coats of tru oil will make your skins about as smooth as glass if done right. Thats what i do to smooth it down,and works for me...but what the heck do i know,im just a dumb guy from pennsyltucky  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »
Steel wool in between coats of tru oil will make your skins about as smooth as glass if done right. Thats what i do to smooth it down,and works for me...but what the heck do i know,im just a dumb guy from pennsyltucky  ;)

Exactly.....anybody else a better idea?

I dont use Tru Oil anymore. I dip all my bows. After the first coat they are too stiff and hard to steel wool down. Sand paper may work, but I hate the thought of what that woudl do to my base dip. Ohhhh the turmoils of bending wood.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:33:35 pm »
what kind of finish are you dipping your bows in?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:36:47 pm »
I use Zip Gaurd Paul. Helmsman works just about as good with less tint. I like the tint.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »
I know you don't use Truoil but maybe use it as a filler for the skins and then continue with your dip process?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »
Pearly
Try an extra fine sanding sponge !
Or you might be able to create the same effect if you use 320-400 grit sand paper wrapred around a bit of cloth to soften your touch !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:33:11 pm »
Thanks Lee and Guy. Both ideas could work great. Its that one "flaw" in my finishing I cant seem to get around! It used to be crappy grips. Now its crappy skins!

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »
I also will use 600 grit on it "soflty" before i start my tru oil coats. Forgot to mention that too,my dumb brain just couldnt remember it all ;)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:53:30 pm »
Oh, you mean scale sockets Pearly ;D?

Fine sand with 220 grit after they're dry and add some thinned down Tite-bond glue over the skins. Fine sand once that's dry. Repeat if necessary. You can lightly sand and/or buff with steel wool between coats of finish........Artsy