Author Topic: Central European Crossbow Project  (Read 57263 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Central European Crossbow Project
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2012, 05:20:12 pm »
That sucker is going to be one hell of a beast! Once you get it braced once, can you leave it braced? What about the prod on this crossbow, can you leave it braced or do you have to brace and unbrace after each shooting session?

Offline Dane

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »
Gus, if Richard is around, I am going to shoot him in his royal heart lol.

It is an exciting project, Ifrit. I just got a call from my client, the prod came from Germany today, so I will have it in hand in a week or so. The guy who forged it is Jens Sensfelder, a giant in the crossbow world. Regarding keeping it braced, I did have a steel 100 lb. prod strung for about a year and a half, and there was no loss of power or set whatsoever. Unlike a wooden bow, you can leave crossbows spanned for longer periods of time. Some have been spanned for many centuries and have not loss a great deal of efficiency.

I will be begging or borrowing a chronograph when I get that one done, to see how it performs. This kind of power really would be effective against period armor, I am guessing. I will create a new thead once that build is really underweigh.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jpitts

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2012, 02:40:21 am »
I have a feeling this monster would slay any dragon in the realm.
With that much power in a metal prod, you may cause magnetic field shift, LOL's  ;D
Have you ever tried to use a leaf spring for a prod? I found an article called The Atom Smasher from Popular Science that shows how to do it. Been thinking bout that one......
I want to see this one first though.
Plus I gotta get better at not breaking regular bows too  ::)
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Dane

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2012, 08:42:11 am »
I agree, Jimmy, it will be one powerful toy. I'm aquiring all the materials right now - moose antler stem, gut, bar stock steel for the tickler, bone for the table, tickler inlet area, and butt plate, goat rawhide, hemp rope, and so on. My delivery date is 3 to 6 months, so the project is going to move at a nice pace. We are about 85% complete on a new archery range at my club, which I've been working tword for a long time, so it will be a good setting for testing this bow and future ones.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts