Author Topic: Horn Bow - video Buildalong  (Read 15153 times)

Offline Dane

Re: Horn Bow - video Buildalong
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 10:27:48 pm »
In one of the early issues of PA there was a letter from a guy showing a Gemsbok horn bow that had the hollow belly side filled with carefully shaped Osage glued in place.
 So it can be done without pulling 120 lbs. The bow described was about 50 as I recall.
 There seems little point in making one of these bows except for the "Fantasy" look.
 There are several examples of solid horn bows, including a few in TBB. Horn will handle tension fine if it is long enough, but then you are no longer taking advantage of its compression qualities. It's a material that needs to be maxed out to make it worthwhile.
 There is a more or less solid horn bow on the Ambush bow contest thread  on the Bowyers Journal site.
  Pat

I think that is the point, a fantasy bow to satisfy his particular market. Recall the "Dark Lord" dude? I am guessing that Justin wants to make the videos to sell horns to the kids who make up his customer base. Looks fairly simple - cut the horn in half, mix in the Bow Grip 100 gunk, and you have another Dark Lord orc bow, easy as pie :) Get a bunch of Dark Lord arrows and maybe some Ukranian armor, and you are set. Never mind performance.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 11:45:01 pm »
  Looks to me like  the only thing missing is soaking in salt water and letting a Buffalo piss on it. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:08 pm »
                                 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....bob

bowstick

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 01:20:30 am »
I will be updating when I get more time... There still is the matter of the handle riser, the belly lams, overlays and string grooves, attaching the Blesbok horns (optional), Tillering, and finishing. 

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 09:51:51 pm »
any progress? looks interesting eventhough I'll probably never do something like it, it's still need to see.