Author Topic: Art sinew for backing?  (Read 6042 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Art sinew for backing?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »
Sinew can take an 8% stretch before risking failure. Wood only 1% hence the need for lots of reflex...
Pearl - ok  ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »
There is nothing special about artifical sinew - it's just nylon. If someone is determined to back a bow with the stuff, I'd recommend using a sheet of polyester instead. It would be a lot simplier.
Gordon

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 05:36:23 pm »
When I first got started in bowmaking I ordered a box of supplies from 3rivers.  In that box was a spool of artificial sinew.  I thought I would use it on everything.  I still have that spool and it is still about 99% there.  I used some to tie something up in the garage one time.  I have never found the need to use any when making bows, especially for backing them.  I could see were it would work well on leather crafts so maybe I'll hold on to it. 

I would imagine a bow backed with artificial sinew would be similar to a bow backed with real sinew and TB glue.  It would offer protection, but very little in the way of performance.  Just my thoughts on it as a backing  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »
Rick,

If you are needing some back sinew shoot me a PM and I'll send you some...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:30 pm »
It might work if you could find a glue that it was compatable with and that would stretch and recover the same as the art sinew. There are too many other approriate options for a protective backing to use art sinew. For performance real sinew can't be beat or substituted as a backing.

True that. A real sinew backing with the wrong glue doesn't even do what sinew backings are desired for.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 06:29:58 pm »
I would be interested to see the recovery rate of artificial sinew compared to the recovery rate of real sinew. Also it'd be interesting to know how many times you can stretch either material before recovery begins to decrease, and ultimately causes a backing failure.

Gabe

I believe the word is resilience, I have read sinew's is higher than rubber in general. Although the idea of a strong rubber backing, applied in reflex, sounds kinda fun to try?  :laugh:
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair