Author Topic: newbie here  (Read 4198 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: newbie here
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »
Dang, you're right on the border with LA.  You should have a ton of river cane near you.  You might be able to trade cane for some rock.

You're probably closer to knappers in MS and AL than you are to me and the guys I knapp with.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline 1442

Re: newbie here
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 01:26:32 pm »
Hey there,
I'm in Orange also.  I would be glad to meet up with you and help get you started flintknapping. I have a basic set of tools you can have to work with, along with some rock to practice on.  My rock stash is a little low but I can fix you up with some flakes big enough for hunting points and practice .
I'm not an expert knapper by any means but have been learning at it nearly two years now. I've recently started building self bows and arrows too but knapping is like an addiction that has me firmly hooked.
I've built and give away dozens of knapping starter kits like I'm offering to you just to help people get a start and see what it's like, and I try to give the best instruction I can but you have to drive flakes to really learn and just getting started was the hardest part for me.
Soot me a PM or call me at 728 5291 and we can talk more about it.
The Niblets Bluff Knap in is coming up next month right across the border in Louisiana.  That is probably the biggest best resource of knowledge, instruction, tools and material youll ever see outside of the internet, and it's practically next door.
I think it is the weekend of April 21-22.   Later   Terry