Author Topic: Beaver  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Beaver
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:45 am »
Got all my beavers put up an on the way to sale in Toronto, I,m gonna bring a bag of frozen tails to the classic, any body want one see me at the classic, I,ll be in the knappin pit from sun up till at least dark thirty.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 04:45:13 am »

Those would make  good bow grips, and knife sheaths! ;) 8)
Man, I have bitten my tongue on this topic too many times tonight.  Just so many avenues, you can take on this......  :P>:D >:D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)  I would like to get a nice beaver "Plew" Hide, and make a forager hat out of it.  Maybe I can get one in Montana.  Have you used the teeth, to make an NA Indian beaver tooth knife?  I have a couple of Muskrat teeth, and plan on making some with those, but would like to use beaver if I can.  It basically looks like curved knife, or hooked knife.  They used it for scraping, and other types of wood working.  The teeth can be ground down to surprisingly sharp edges.  Just grind a one sided bevel, on the outside of the curve of the tooth, and put the tooth on a curved handle with a flat spot on the blade end, so the tooth can sit on it, like an adz blade, with a flat spot, and a back spot to reinforce it, and wrap it and glue it.  The end of the handle can be round, or with a flat spot, to fit your thumb for pressure, and ease of directing, or guiding the cut.  the handle actually looks upside down.  With the curve , or "U" shaped handle up, (picture a "U" opened up, and on it's back) and the tooth blade tied onto a flat spot on the belly, or inside of the curve, so that when you grip the handle, the "open" part of the "U" is wrapped by your fingers, and the thumb is on the curved end.  If any of this makes sense. :P  But it was an effective little knife.

Wayne

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 01:35:02 pm »
Never used them as a knife.  Right now I am saving teeth to make an old skool dice game.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »
     Outbackbob48;
      How much do you get for a beaver hide?

IsaacW; How do you play dice with the teeth?

Wayne

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 03:06:20 pm »
Beaver tooth dice... Here is one of many images of these... http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/common/image_dup.cfm?catno=16%20%20%2F%202014%20A-D  (I hope that link works).

I am not sure the actual play but it looks like the same thing as the snake game played by the Ojibwe around here and I figure I will use them the same.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

Aldo Leopold