Author Topic: Scrappy Little Bow  (Read 25154 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Scrappy Little Bow
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 10:04:02 am »
Thanks guys.  It is a little on the short side for me.  It was too short to make a walking stick, so naturally I had to make a bow. 
Pappy, isn't that your regular draw length.   ;)
Jamie, I have been working on a modified pinch grip, but it takes some getting used to.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 10:26:17 am »
Ya thats about right ,maybe a little long. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 02:39:04 pm »
Looks like a good brush bottom bow for riparian whitetails.  Pretty cool. It'll wind up as part of the list for August Backed Bow of the Month.
As soon as I quit goofing off up here in Alaska, that is.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 07:06:09 pm »
Goofing off??? That looks like some serious business to me.  Looks like you are doing a good job of it too.  Enjoy your vacation, you will be back soon enough.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 01:01:09 am »
Can't believe I missed this thread.. :o Perfect bow for slaying from horseback. Justin I agree you make that bow look even smaller than it is..Looks like a good combo for that low humidity which is rather prevalent where you live.

I'm quite sure ipe/sinew will become a popular combination.

Nice fish Oldbow..did you throw it back? ;)

Rich

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 01:30:16 am »
Yes we are definitely dry. Sometimes I wonder if we could be having a down pour and still be 15% humidity.  I might try again with just the Ipe. I think I will put more sinew on the next one if I do.  I think 3-4 layers would be appropriate.  Justin
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 11:16:00 am by Justin Snyder »

SW Utah

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 02:58:01 am »
Hi Justin,  I just noticed this post.  You sure got a lot of replies.  I like sinewed bows in general and it looks like yours is a real killer. 
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 12:04:45 pm »
Sweet lil'bow Justin.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 05:25:44 pm »
Ron, I sure hope your prediction is right.  ;D 
Brian, I'm glad you like it.  It sure was fun to make.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 12:25:12 am »
Hey Old bow, your grinnin like your holdin your next best bow ;D. What kind of Salmon you got there?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

huntersim

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2007, 09:17:34 pm »
Justin, neat bow. I've been wanting to make something like that for a while, just haven't gotten to it. Tell me your gonna hunt with it some.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2007, 09:21:25 pm »
Justin - just outa curiosity. You said you had trouble using TB3 to bond hide or sinew to the back of a bow - what happened?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 01:16:24 am »
Matt, thanks, and yes I do plan on hunting with it. 
Cowboy, I don't recall that, are you sure it was me.  ??? Justin

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 11:37:59 am »
Hmm? I sure thought it was you, guess not though if you don't remember ???. I was just asking couse I have yet to make any hide glue but have lot's of TB3 - didn't want to get too far with it in case it wasn't going to work.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 01:14:33 pm »
After reading and studying all the info I could find on hide glue and how it gels then dries, I really believe you are loosing a lot of benefits of a sinew backed bow by using TB3.  If you are in a hurry and don't have the hide glue, I would certainly recommend the Knox gelatin before the TB.  ;D Justin

SW Utah