Author Topic: Unbelievable Osage Log  (Read 10320 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Unbelievable Osage Log
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 01:48:50 am »
depends, how wide is the larger stave?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline dco1958

• Coffee Corner
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 01:56:53 am »
Big end: From bark to center...4 3/4 inches.  7 inches wide.
Small end: From bark to center...4 inches.  5 inches wide.

d
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
- Anonymous

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 02:03:57 am »
 8) Let the bartering begin! what are you in need of dco?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 02:22:50 am »
you migh be able to, but the risk might not be worth it, so like fred said, what would you like for one of them?

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 02:54:54 am »
Anchorseal is fantastic for sealing logs. It's a water based wax emulsion. Don't ask me how they do that.

http://www.uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline dco1958

• Coffee Corner
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 03:11:11 am »
Like I said in an earlier post, I only have a vague idea of the value of the wood and I'm not sure if it would be okay to ask for a bow to made from one of the staves.  The last bow I owned was a Fred Bear recurve (a Black Bear 45#).   That was in '75.  I don't collect things just to hang on the wall; so, if someone wanted to trade a bow, I'd have to take up archery again...(grin).
I'm a tool guy and as you can see by my "workshop" somewhat of a minimalist.  (grin)  I'd love to have a fairly new 36" or 48" one man timber saw or a leather carrying case for the antique saw I've been using for the last 20 years...but I ain't picky.  Anybody have saws, axes, hatchets, drawknives, etc. they ain't usin'?
d
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
- Anonymous

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 03:18:36 am »
as far as making a bow as a trade for the staves, if you sent me enough for two bows, i would defiantly make a bow in exchange for some wood once it had seasoned of course, if that interests you i would e fine doing that

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:40 pm »
dco, could you measure the stave with the branch growing from it. I'd want measurements from both ends to the branch also and full length pics showing both ends clearly.
Thanks, Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 03:52:53 pm »
Those are some nice looking quarters DCO.  Having shipped a lot of osage, here are some osage related suggestions.
  • The post office (IMO the least expensive way to ship bow wood) has a limit of 108" (which is length + circumference) of the piece of wood.  If you go longer than that the shipping costs go up.
  • I personally never ship wood until at least 6mo after it's cut.  I guess I might bend that rule IF the recipient were paying the shipping.  Green osage is HEAVY!!
  • If I'm paying the shipping I always remove the bark and sapwood, then seal the back.
  • Unless somebody wants to make a warbow, I would try to cut your wood in 6' lengths, the 3-4' remaining pieces (billets) can be spliced into a full length stave

What I'm saying is that both lower shipping costs and better bows come to those who wait. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »
"straight, knotless log 8 feet 5 inches long"

Yup, thats a rare one. I never see those unless they are in trees too big for me to (want to) cut. I mean I can cut a good sized tree, but that is about it. I sure as heck can't get it down, as they usually don't wanna fall from getting stuck up in other trees and vines. I think the best osage trees to cut are ones you can drag down yourself. Maybe if osage were made for longbows, it would come in longer straighter lengths, and would be lighter so it wouldn't have as much handshock and shoot faster in a longbow design,  >:D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:25 pm »
i agree with tommanyknots and gstondeberg, unless the person want to make a warbow, it would be bestto cut around 6ft, also, it would be best to let it dry a little, as whoever gets it will have to wait for it to season before use, so no use paying for extra shipping beczsue of the weight of it being green. that being said, i would be trying to make a warbow from a piece if i traded for one, but you coul still cut down to around 84in.
by the way, i jsut wanted to thank you for keeping this wood to trade on here, i ahve seen too many nice straight logs cut up
thanks
noel

Offline okie64

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 10:45:30 pm »
I agree with gstoneberg. I shipped some osage awhile back in a trade and the shipping went from $54 to $99 because I was 109 inches instead of 107! A lot of the oldtimers prefer sister billets over full length staves anyways.

Offline dco1958

• Coffee Corner
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 07:38:22 pm »
Thanks to everyone for advice and input.  I'm sure these staves are worth the effort.  See pictures below.  If you need better pictures with more detail, I can post all such requests on my website.  Let me know what you need. 
I live in Waco, Texas, so unless you can drive by to pick one up, I'll probably need to remove the sapwood.  Unless I hear otherwise, I'll probably begin stripping the sapwood in a couple of days.
d
- Anonymous

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:49 am »
what do you want for the one the square is on in the first pic. On page 2 I'll take it.!!!!!!!!
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline dco1958

• Coffee Corner
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 02:47:28 am »
I would like an osage bow in trade.  That's one big heavy stave to ship to 'Bama.  I can get better photos tomorrow of that particular chunk 'o wood. 
d
- Anonymous