Author Topic: Transverse flint point  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Kegan

Transverse flint point
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:40:01 pm »
Heard it works on deer (given local game laws). How is that so? I kow it isn't the best, but how does it peform? Got me thikning after reading the old PA article, "48 Year Hunt" or something.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Transverse flint point
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:55:12 pm »
Are you talking about the Neolithic European points that look like a chisel? I don't think I'd hunt big game with 'em myself-I would kind of be inclined to think that a point on the tip would improve penetration just a bit  :) They must have been effective for some use, though, or they wouldn't have made and used 'em.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:56:05 pm »
  I have a friend that lives in NC now that killed a BIG bear.He killed it with one of those points made out of obsidean.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:09:48 pm »
                       Kinna depends on if ya work on the chisel point after ya knock it off bigger piece. That makes em' more effective IMO. Like hillbilly said a point is preferable but as Mullet said these chisel pernts will do the job. I have used em and taken thin skinned game as they come off a preform untouched and touched up also............bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:32:06 pm »
    Even with Wensels,If you file the point to a chisel,IMO they work better when hitting bone.I've had other people that use and swear by them do the same.I have two that folded over hitting bone in hogs.I believe very ,needle sharp stone points just come apart when hitting bone.Which is not a bad thing with rock.And I've seen not so pointed and flat pointed rock points penetrate and break bone.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:04:19 pm »
Flint guys! Truly this would make a great point and a good use of materials. The edge being 1 micron thick would just zip through most flesh but I think it would break if it hit bone. Though if you had a big enough blad from which they were chipped out they might hold up well.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 10:29:15 pm »
  David,I'm shooting 3" long coral points by 1 1/4" wide this year.They weight about 125 to 135 grains.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 11:22:35 pm »
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong type of point. Is this the one you strike a blade off a core, then notch and break it from the blade and then insert on the shaft?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:26:09 am »
                       ???..............bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:46:21 am »
Im glad Im not the only one.   ??? ???  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 10:09:06 am »
I think he's talking about these:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:40:04 pm »
I know it wouldn't be the best penetrating blade, but it seems like it would be good for emergencies or simple survival- being so easy to knap and all. I had heard of people using them, just wanted to get everyone else's opinion- thanks :)!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 04:16:28 pm »
Hey Keegan! I think it must be a good point with. They used a ton of them in the Neolithic from what I heard. It actually came after bifacial flaking in the history books. Simple fast to make and sharper than a bifacially flaked point.  Though I think the bifacial flake would be more areodynamic.

I would like to think the people who made those were really smart! Think about it. Simple and fast to make. You can pop out five from a long blade in a 1/4 the time it takes to make a bifacial point. Also, its redealy disposable since most times you break the point after shooting it at a game animal anyways. So little time in the point turns out to be a good think if your just going to bust it up when shooting it.

David T

jamie

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 10:00:06 pm »
they work and the animal bleeds out something fierce. but i still prefer a standard point.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 12:52:14 am »
Those are interesting - haven't read about or heard about them in any of the books I've read, look like they'd do the job - but I'd prefer bifaced points myself.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.