Author Topic: Where do I get slabs for points?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Where do I get slabs for points?
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:52:51 am »
My knapping is coming and going.  I'm not strictly speaking getting into knapping for the sake of doing perty stuff.  But it has it's benefits. ;D

I saw a you tube video of a guy making slabs of rocks for making points with.  Where do I get slabs of different rock like this?  If I found some cool rocks that were knappable could I send them someplace to be slabbed?

Offline Jimbob

Re: Where do I get slabs for points?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:08:51 am »
Ive seen some slabbed stuff on evilbay.  You can also rent a tile saw from true value for a weekend, once you get enough to slab to justify the rental.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:24:52 am »
you can buy a little 8" tile saw at homedepot or harbour freight for like 70 buck's,if there is a gem store around they will have slabs for sale and they will probablly slab rock you bring in or that you buy from them, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:56:47 pm »
I'm hoping NOT to buy the tile saw BUT if that winds up beign the case then what sorts of rocks are best to work with?  Is there a place where I can just buy things like Agte, Chert and pretty stuff?

I thought about looking for the slabbs for coasters but it seems thina dn pricy.  I saw some stuff that was black with little white flecks in it like stars in the night sky.  That would be COOL for tips.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »
I saw some stuff that was black with little white flecks in it like stars in the night sky.  That would be COOL for tips.

Sounds like snowflake obsidian. Some of those 'inclusions' make it pretty hard to get a flake to run.
Do a google for 'flintknapping stone' there are several places that sell slabs.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 05:54:49 pm »
Check out Paleo Planet

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:37:54 pm »
like i said any gem store that makes jewlery will have slab's of all types for sale, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:10 pm »
like i said any gem store that makes jewlery will have slab's of all types for sale, Bub

Errr... googling "Jewlery store slab stone".