Author Topic: Couple New Guy Questions....  (Read 1658 times)

Offline gudspelr

Couple New Guy Questions....
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:16:18 am »
I'm new to this site, but REALLY enjoying all of the great information.  I'm hoping you experienced folks can help me with a few questions.  I have a fair stash of obsidian which brings me to my first question.  I heard someone mention obsidian was too brittle to hunt with (in their opinion) and they only use chert/flint for hunting purposes.  Is this the case?  While I'm certain obsidian can and does kill critters, are other materials generally stronger, potentially lasting longer or not breaking where as an obsidian point might?

Second question has to do with safety.  I'm new to knapping (still have to get the tools together) and have heard it can be hazardous to one's health if the tiny particles are inhaled-true?  I've seen in some videos that knapping tends to be done outdoors, which I assume could also make the pile of debris just easier to clean up (or not).  I live in a subdivision and my back yard doesn't exactly lend itself to a pile of glass bits laying around.  Would I be fine spreading a tarp or something on the floor of my garage?  From other posts I've found, looks like some use fans to move the air and keep the dust away?  I also have young kids and want to be aware of any safety tips...

Sorry for the dumb basic questions, I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:31:15 am by gudspelr »

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
Re: Couple New Guy Questions....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
There is no such thing as a dumb question around here!  Also we are starting a new column in our magazine where Patrick known as Jackcrafty on the boards will answer any question emailed or messaged to him.  His email is jackcrafty@yahoo.com.

He would love to put your questions in our magazine for other readers to learn from them!  Glad you posted!
~cg
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:52 am »
Jeremy, your questions will be answered really quick by the experts on this forum so I don't want to steal anyone's thunder.  If you have any other questions or if you would like my input after the other guys have given this a shot, let me know.  You can send me a message here or send a message to my email.

This goes for any of you other new guys as well.  No question is dumb!

Marie, you spotted Jeremy's questions really quick!  I'm impressed!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:42:46 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:54:25 am »
People are right, no dumb questions.  However, you may assume any answer I post has a high probability of being dumber than a bag of used post holes. 

If obsidian was not good for hunting then literally millions of our ancestors must have starved to death!  Maybe that's why they are all dead?  Granted, they are not as durable, but you only need an arrow once if you use it right the first time!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:08:57 am »
Jeremy, Im no expert knapper but Ive been doing it for about 8 months now.  There are still plenty of people that use obsidian to hunt with, it can be more prone to breakage but it is also easier to get really sharp in my opinion.  You can actually use glass points to hunt with and IMO its kind of economical to hunt with glass because you can get it for next to nothing.  I guess if you are worried about breaking points that you've put alot of time and effort into, you could use glue on broadheads instead.  As to the saftey part, I knapp outside on my porch.  I do use  a fan but that is more to keep the bugs outa my face.  I do make sure to wear saftey glasses though!!  Some guys wear gloves but I find they get in the way more than they help.  You can make your own tools, this site as well as youtube are helpful resources for that.  I made my first set of tools.  Hope this helps.  Oh by the way flintknapping is addictive!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:25:13 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I'm hoping to make my tools, as I tend to like making my own stuff.  I've made one bow, just picked up materials for about 3 more and whole lot of bamboo for my first go at arrows.  I've also made some knives and have a forge I built, so would like to try making some trade points as well as end up knapping some to hunt with.  I have quite a few surface nodules (not sure if that's the right term) of obsidian I got at Glass Butte, so I'm not worried about running out anytime soon.

Some call it a sickness......I figure there are worse things to be addicted to.  :laugh:  Thanks again

Jeremy

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 07:05:36 am »
As far as hunting points i'm with most everybody else. Use it right the first time and their deadly. of course chert will take more of a beating. I know this for a fact as many times as i've missed and had em bounce through the gravel. Little bit of touch up and their ready to go again.
 Knapping indoors is probably not the best thing unless you have some kind of exhaust going on. Silicosis (spelling?) breathing in all those tiny sharp particles that lodge in the lungs and never come out is the culprit. Lay down a tarp outside or wherever your knapping, roll it up and dicard the shards when your done. Welcome to the addiction :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:36:37 am »
Yep it is an addiction.  A great one too.  I do knap inside some, but the shop doors are open and a big fan running.  As for obsidian hunting points, mine are a little thicker at the point and when I notch the shaft, I go a little deeper to get more wood one the point.  It does seem to strengthen it some.  If the point does break, its going to be a sharp edge and still cut.  Keep a good supply of plastic dogfood or horse feed bags.  Its great for holding debitage when regular trash bags wont.