Author Topic: can someone explain me very BASIC Fly fishing?  (Read 4227 times)

youngbowyer

can someone explain me very BASIC Fly fishing?
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »
Well springtime is here and for me that means fishing! I don't build too many bows around april and may, that kicks back in in June. I would like to buy a fly rod/reel combo for around 40$ that I can use on panfish, small bass, and stocked trout. Any suggestions and could anybody define some of the basic terms and things I should know.
Thanks, YB

Offline Parnell

Re: can someone explain me very BASIC Fly fishing?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:52:47 pm »
A 5 weight rod and line I use for trout fishing.  Down here on the Gulf I use an 8 wt. rod with a 9 weight fly line to cut the wind.  I'd say look for a 3 weight set-up for panfish.  Also, look for a collapsable 4 piece rod for easy carrying.  Fly fishing is like archery, there's a lot to learn, but with a little practice you got the basics down pretty quick.  They come in different flexes.  Get the tip flex which the guy at the store will tell you is moreso if you've done it before.  You'll learn quick enough, I'd say.  Tying flies is fun.  I've caught panfish off of sock lint and a bead on a hook. 
1’—>1’

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:01:59 am »
Eagle claw rod in 4 or 5 weight, 7 1/2 foot......Pflueger Medalist reel......South Bend double taper floating line or weight forward if casting bigger flies, poppers....

elk hair caddis fly, light yellow dunn fly, weighted hairs ear nymph, woolly burger..

7 1/2 or 8 foot tapered leader...

Not easy to get a fly fishing outfit for $40..above are only suggestions

search ebay, etc.....good luck

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:18:31 am »
I found a good looking kit on amazon with good reviews, it's a pflueger rod reel combo kit. Again, just looking for a different way to fish for stockies and blue gills

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:40 pm »
You catch a fly, and then you make a tiney fishing pole for him, then take him down to the pond and tell him to fish ;D. Pretty Basic. 8)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:58 am »
Well JW has hacked into Eddies computer and is now making posts as Eddie.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:29:46 pm »
Been a long while since I did any serious fly fishing, but it's a ton of fun.  Pretty much all the big box stores have an entry level fly combo available for a resonable amount.  If you're willing to spend a little more you can get a little nicer setup somewhere like Bass Pro or Gander Mtn.  Watch a few videos on Youtube to learn the basic casts, then tie a little yarn on the end of your line and go out in the yard and practice.  You'll have a lot of fun with panfish and a 3 wt. rod.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »
Go for it !!
You are in for a blast !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52:03 pm »
Two things to add to the tacklebox are #10 long shank hooks and cheese flavored troutworms.  Crappy like pink and chartreuse, and brim and bass hit almost any of them.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 02:27:31 am »
You catch a fly, and then you make a tiney fishing pole for him, then take him down to the pond and tell him to fish ;D. Pretty Basic. 8)

Yep.. What he said, but stay away from Spanish flies. They don't understand English  >:D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 10:25:22 am »
Hey Tom, good luck with your fly fishing.  Just remember, that at least at first you will need as much space behind you when you cast as you use in front.  If your fishing holes are all tree lined on the bank and you have no boat, you might have some trouble.  Also, always wear a floppy hat when fly fishing.  That gives the hook something to catch on other than your ear when you muff a cast. 8)  It is great fun, especially for panfish.  It's been decades since I've done it.

Have fun,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 06:02:01 pm »
YB,

Pm me your addy I have something for you that will help out.

Sean

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 06:00:19 am »
Id try to help but them flies are way yonder to hard to catch!!!  good luck dude!  ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Kpete

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »
An 8-9 foot rod, in a 5wt or 6wt would be a nice starter rig. 
Scientific Anglers used to offer a kit with everything needed except flies.   The principle, Tom, is that you are casting the weight of the fly line and it pulls the fly toward the target.  The leader presents the fly at the end of the cast.
I started 40 years ago fishing for sunfish and bluegill-they are top notch sport.  I occaisionally find used rods and reels-sometimes lines too at garage sales.  I will keep an eye peeled.
Poppers, rubber spiders, and other flies work well for panfish and bass and are great fun.   Stocker trout probably won't be hard to catch with basic flies.  Keep me posted and I will see if I can help.
Kirk

Offline Kpete

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:55:54 pm »
Tom,
There is a good book in the Library by Lefty Kreh that is a great resource.  "Ultimate Guide to Fly-fishing" or something similar.  There is a lot more than you will need for what you want to do, but you don't have to read the whole thing.
There has to be someone near you that could help you get started casting.  Try a shop that sells gear, or maybe there is a club that could "help you up the trail". 
Keep me posted on what you need and what you have.   I do some tying and might be able to put together some workable items for  you.
PM  me and I will give you a place to buy flies cheap.  They are good quality and easy to deal with.
Are you set on a graphite rod?  I see some pretty good older fiberglass rods at Garage Sales in my area.
Kirk