Author Topic: Good Sunday  (Read 1582 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Good Sunday
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:49:46 pm »
Another story post...So the family and I went for a hike yesterday in one of the state forests here in Indiana.  We walked around a lake on decent trail, but coming to the stream side of the lake we realized that the trail was no longer really a trail.  We pushed up stream a bit and the skeeters started getting bad, but I saw a big sycamore tree just a little farthur up stream and w/ them being in my top three fav. trees, and this was a pretty big one, I talked them into going just a little further.  When we got there we saw that the tree was hollow on the up stream side and both my boys went in to mess around.  My oldest, 7, said look @ this rope, it's got something tied to it, so I climbed in and let the rope down and it was one of those GPS treasure hunt boxes.  It was full of toys and we left a note and a hankerchief and took a GI joe and a pack of cilatro seeds, my 4 yr old wants to be a farmer, he chose the seeds.  ;D  Anywho, we made it back to a great waterfall and took an icy swimm and that made for a great day, but when we got home the boys played outside and I got a chance to knap. Here is what I came up with.  The obs was lookin good, til I broke an ear notching it and now it looks like a spade, but weighs in @ 128 grains and that works for me.  Also two pics from the trip. Thanks for reading and looking, dpgratz 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Good Sunday
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:09:05 pm »
Nice hornestone and obs there! We were on our annual Brazos river 20 mile canoe trip last summer enjoying the peace and serenity when about fifty canoes came rolling in invading our tiny island and serenity. It was a group of those GPS treasure hunters. Apparently the loot was in the vicinity of where we decided to camp >:(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »
"about fifty canoes came rolling in invading our tiny island and serenity. It was a group of those GPS treasure hunters."

yea, I bet that blew.  My boys is all excited about it now and wanting to get a GPS, even though he doesn't know what it really is.  Might not be a bad idea to have one for deer/turkey and mushroom hunting though.  >:D  Thanks for the reply cowboy, dpg

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:08:42 pm »
lookin' good DPG, man i've never seen that many geocache'rs  in one spot before, hope they didn't stay long, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:09:09 pm »
Well, it mighta been twenty but seemed like a hundred they way they moved right in on top of us within inches of a respectable distance from out fire, sleeping bags, etc ::) ;D.. Just plain old rude i tell ya..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:09 pm »
Looks like a fun outing with the family.  We all could use some more of those.  Nice points!  Josh

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:40:43 pm »
Looks like the hornstone is working fine for you Derik. Cool pics and story. Need to get together and knap sometime before the Classic.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 01:27:25 am »
Man, that obsidian looks awesome!!  I dont think I have seen one quite like that before.  Thanks for the pics and the story, makes me want to go hiking now.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:50:39 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys!!  We are trying to do a family hike, away from home, once a week now.  And if I can end the day w/ a little knappin, that's all the better.  I'm heading to the pit now. cheers, dpg