Author Topic: trout skins?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

trout skins?
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:25 pm »
Well i got a new idea in my head and of course when that happens my wife rolls her eyes and says" oh god what now." lol. Anyway i was thinking of using the skins of some brown trout i caught yesterday to put on a new handle for one of my knives. So what do you guys think? Good idea or bad? I know that trout skins are rather thin put they are already dried and have come out perfect. Just wanted to know yalls opinions. Thanks
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline bubby

Re: trout skins?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:53:15 am »
i say give it a go and post some pics, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:37:27 am »
How did the color come out? I know they fade some, but curious how much. You could back the limbs with them also, you would just have to wrap some silk or something around the limb where you splice the skin. I like a wrap at mid limb though.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »
ill post pics hopefully by the end of the day bub

Offline Kpete

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »
there are color preservatives in the Taxidermy field that help with fading and a bit of touch up with paint can help before the finish.
Ooooh, I can see the halo-ed crimson spots from here!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:08 am »
I was thinking the same thing, Kpete!

Brookies would be great, too.  The vermiculated (wormy) patterns high on their sides would be phenominal. 

But please post pics to show them off!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:55:20 am »
there are color preservatives in the Taxidermy field that help with fading and a bit of touch up with paint can help before the finish.
Ooooh, I can see the halo-ed crimson spots from here!
EXACTLY!! Most good taxidermist just plan to paint, that is why I asked how the color came out.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kpete

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 05:50:13 pm »
When I was a kid(still am) I fished for bluegills  3 times a week or more.  I often thought it would be neat to wallpaper my room with skins from spawning male bluegill!   After a week of drying they kind of lost their pizazz, and I am sure my mom might have stopped me before I had the first skins glued up.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »
Sorry guys i havent had time to finish the handles or put the skins on because a friend of ours has been in the hospital after having brain surgery to remove a brain tumor. Apparantly she has known about the tumor more a year and hasnt told anyone about it or had anything done about it until now.  Although the skins have come out great and the color actually hasnt faded too bad.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:05 pm »
I don't blame you for putting the project aside.  Give our best to your friend.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.