Author Topic: Stone to the bone....  (Read 4064 times)

Offline lowell

Stone to the bone....
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »
but it didn't make meat.  :( 

Hunted with my son today and he got a 27#er at 6:15 (with gun).  He was in woods about 80 yards from me and I was in an open field.  We talked and he left and I said I'd stay and hunt longer. 

About an hour later a few birds began gobbling again.  I had one in woods that would gobble to my calls.  I was paying attention to him when all of a sudden 3 jakes walked right in front of my blind just outside of my jake decoy.  I drew but they saw me and spooked....no shot. 

Just a few minutes later the tom I had been calling stepped out of the woods and headed my way.  He walked behind the jake tail of my decoy at about 8 yards.  When his head was behind the tail I drew and whe he took another step I let the arrow go.  Hit him right where I wanted ...where it had killed others I had hit in the same spot.  This time I was using stone.

He walked off slow and low with my arrow sticking straight out from his side..  I called to him and by then a jake had also come into decoys.  The hit bird was out about 40 yards and started to circle back and even half way puffed up.  But then left with jake into woods.

Called son and he came back and we looked where I last saw him.  Found blood and followed to where he had sat till we spooked him.   Son thought he saw him maybe, from a ways off, but we never found him. 

Knowing what we learned by looking for him, I wish we had waited 3 or 4 more hours. 

Going back to same spot tomorrow.....maybe if he comes back...I can get a second arrow in him!!

Sure makes using a gun seem a lot easier.  Had shot a jake the week earlier with gun as that season was cut very short by a trip my wife had planned!! >:D ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Stone to the bone....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:49:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune with said gobbler, If I may ask what style head are you using an width, I got a hunch that long narrow points may work better on birds. I know turkeys can be tuff as nails even with the lead. Hope ya get another chance at him. ;D Later Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:56:52 pm »
That's tough, Lowell. I'm with Bob, I like long points(1 3/4" x 1") and thin.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:24:08 am »
we are all trying to toughen up and bust turkeys with stone....  but Man it is hard to do apparently..lol  after my mishaps and yours  and really thinking  im going to have to shoot for the head or maybe get a great back shot.  Im bout tired of shooting a broadside turkey with stone
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »
Here is a picture of a point just like I hit the turkey with.  It is very thin too.

Twisted.....I looked at my decoys all moring trying to figure out the "perfect" spot to hit the real thing!! :-\

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »
I looked at my decoys all morning trying to figure out the "perfect" spot to hit the real thing!!

I know this is going to sound egotistical, but I believe in only head shots on turkey. if you miss, bird unharmed and maybe coming back to allow a second try. Hit almost guarantied a dead bird.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 08:37:34 pm »
Was just chewing on a wing bone from a jake this season.

Makes a good case for a shot other than broadside on a turkey.  This is just a jake and can imagine an old mature bird having even thicker bones.   Makes a deer rib look fragile!!

Bevan R.......not egotistcal....had thought the same thing.  Just wish I were a better shot!! :-[   But may have to give it a try!! ......Then use a big point????

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:41:20 pm by lowell »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:47:47 pm »
In Nebraska they allow 9/16 steel blunts to be used for archery turkey hunting. It is to encourage head shooting.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:58:15 pm »
im just betting if i start shooting for heads only im going to be looking for a lot of arrows 8)    probably be further ahead to make a primitive net gun of some sort..lol   that bust out the club ;)
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:16 am »
To bad,Always hate loosing game,I had the same thing happen last fall on a big hen,I thought it was a prefect shot,guess it wasn't. Trailed it a couple hundred yards,decent blood ,then it just stopped,best I could tell it never flew. :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:48 am »
They are tough >:( i cant even imagine myself trying a head shot let alone a body shot ...target is to small for my skill level ...i have had to put a follow up shot with modern gear even though (after an autopsy )the first broad head took off the bottom of tbe heart it still kept running. Unfortunately it is part of hunting...best of luck on your next ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:40 pm »
The difference in target size between head and lungs is minimal at best. Like Ryan said, its just a few lost arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »
I guess that's why they shot these back in the day.  I'd say 50/50 chance of success anywhere on head or neck. >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:02 pm »
Or maybe that's what these were used for?  Although you would have to be quite a good shot with an atlatl to hit a bird's neck.

(paleo crescent shaped "tool")
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr