Author Topic: Help fixing a twisted limb.  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Help fixing a twisted limb.
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:16:13 am »
I don't know if I have sawn it in with a wavy cut?  Glued it in with stretch clamps pulling from the side.  Tillered it in with overly agressive spokeshave work in rounding the belly. 

anyway I thought it was slight and brought hte bow up to nearly finished and it's worse than I thought.  Question is how to fix it?

Side bending (see the bowskin video on fixing twist).    Shave more wood from teh limb on the not twisted side?  the limb is getting narrow already and I'll need to make the other match.  Chop 1" from each tip and move my nocks?  File one of the nocks deper?  I hope you can see it in the pic.

Other wise I'm liking it!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Help fixing a twisted limb.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:20:11 am »
that limb is already narrow from goofing with this.  I'm thinking i need to slim down the upper limb also. It's a clear 1/8" wider.  Feel free to photoshop on my pic.

2nd to last pic is for reference with the depth of the R/D gotten in Ipe. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:27:13 am by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline druid

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:53:11 am »
I hate twistes limbs. Especially in heavy bows. This one seems to be twisted becuase missalignament?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:28:38 am »
Ha!  The good news is that I got it fixed for a 6-8 Lb penalty.  The bad news is that I had the brilliant idea to tighten my string a bit and then noticed a sudden drop in the draw weight.  Probably because I over drew it. Thinking I was bonkers I looked the limbs over and beheld a chrysal on Ipe. :'(  I thought it was impervious to that.  On the tree the bend seemed pretty good.  It's not even in the previously affected area.  I wonder if it happened when I restrung the bow? (step through method).

So now the question is with all this work in it what is the best patch method for a single chrysl?  It is still pulling 55# at 28"

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:55:53 am »